Beef Clod Gyros I hope, Ongoing (maybe)

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have what I think is called Beef Clod? we call it a full Chuck.
Comes in at 21lb, and I hope to turn it into the Equivalent of this Lamb Gyros.

my reason was this post by Limp Brisket.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243016

Challenge is on to see if it comes out great.

lamb shoulder is a tough cut so I am trying the Chuck as its substitute.
Spit roasting is very common here but I cannot remember anyone doing Chuck.

This Clod/chuck was 10. kilo. approx 21lb.
I am using about half for this.

I cut the Chuck with the grain thinking that once skewered and shaved for service it would be against the Grain.

marinade of red wine,Lemon juice , Garlic ,Soy,olive oil,pepper ,salt flakes and whatever was on hand.
oh yeh.
Honey and Worcestershire.
marinade for 24 hours or so.

IMG_8918%20Medium_zpsc4ydq38s.jpg

IMG_8924%20Medium_zpsfyzljcik.jpg

IMG_8928%20Medium_zpsufez3kpi.jpg

The marinade looks like dirty creek water but tastes pretty good.

IMG_8923%20Medium_zpsna02zbps.jpg

be back tomorrow

Chuck and clod are 2 different cuts here....I've done a bunch of chucks but not a clod. This is the last chuck I did...somewhere around 25# if I remember correctly. Clods are the same size or even bigger....

Last edited:
Looking good Titch. I've yet to try a clod.. or a full chuck for that matter...

as to your question, here is what "the internet" says -

Technically, beef shoulder clod is the upper portion of the chuck primal and sits atop the brisket and the shank. It can weigh from 13 to 21 pounds, and in butcher-speak, is known as 114 NAMP. (That’s code for North American Meat Producers.) Rarely will you see a whole clod displayed at a meat counter. Most often, it’s broken down into blade or flat iron steaks (114D), chuck arm roasts (114E), stew meat, ground chuck, and a particularly delectable 12- to 16-ounce cylinder of meat known as a “mock tender” (114F) because of its resemblance to beef tenderloin. Often, it’s a special order, so give your local butcher a heads-up if you want to try this spectacular cut of meat. (Whole Foods asks for a week’s notice.)

I wish I'd quit reading these threads . . .

Seriously though, I'm really starting to get fascinated by this whole gyro meat thing.

Back