Lazy Like Me?

kickedaside05

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So who out there would love to have a true offset, but is either to lazy or not enough time do to life?Started an overnight pork butt. The flameboss is a game changer to how easy it is.

Attachments

• 20200914_183302.jpg
    20200914_183302.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 227
I think I could manage the time by doing hotter cooks I just can't afford another cooker. The ones I would want are more than all my others put together

I used to have a cheap offset that I bought at Sam's club. It was a total piece of crap. I just got Franklin's book a month ago and it explains all the problems of a cheap offset smoker if it isn't made right. Mine had every one of the problems he listed. I will never buy on offset smoker again. My dream smoker right now is just an 18 inch wsm. Right now all I have is the Weber kettle and it does all I need as it's just me.

I used to have a cheap offset that I bought at Sam's club. It was a total piece of crap. I just got Franklin's book a month ago and it explains all the problems of a cheap offset smoker if it isn't made right. Mine had every one of the problems he listed. I will never buy on offset smoker again. My dream smoker right now is just an 18 inch wsm. Right now all I have is the Weber kettle and it does all I need as it's just me.

Wsm produce some great BBQ !

Well that’s too bad... don’t let your experience with a junker deter you from experiencing the joys of a quality offset.

My first offset was a high quality Lang copy. It was really nice and gave me the assurance I really liked that style of cooker. About a year later I was able to snag a superb Shirley offset and live fire cooking with this one is a dream

To the OP.

Love a Kamado style too! I would avoid a lower quality offset...

A high quality offset is great too if you have a little more time and energy than a normal workday...or busy weekend.

I’ve found it’s not too much more work than my Kamado for a 4-6 hour cook especially if I have a little extra time. I check it about every 30-45 minutes and toss a couple splits of wood on it.... but I like playing with fire and appreciate the quality of food I’m rewarded with.

I hope Paul is still making smokers when im close to retirement. It's just so easy to put the meat on the kamado with the flameboss overnight. Here are some finish pictures of the pork butt.

Attachments

• 20200915_174234.jpg
    20200915_174234.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200915_173154.jpg
    20200915_173154.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200915_174235.jpg
    20200915_174235.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 90

I'm sure that you already know this but, keep checking craigslist. Found my 18" there for $50. Talked him down to 40. Don't really think he knew what he had even though it was old.

I bought a set it and forget it smoker for that very reason While I do love it, there is a part of me that wants the offset choice. Also for doing side-by-side comparisons.

Back