questions re packer on akorn kamado. Cooker too small ?

floydo

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
curious about akorn kamado . I see a stat that the unit has 306 inch cooking surface.
that's close to 20 inches wide if my math is right 306 .
while that may be wide enough for a packer, do the ends ..............beyond a diffuser.....get too much heat ?
drape over a rib rack ...............................as with 18.5 wsm ?

Build a UDS! :mrgreen: Just kidding, kind of. I had the same issue with my Akorn, and only ever ended up doing flats on it. The first cook I did on my UDS was a packer just bc I could now. I suppose if you went hunting for a small enough packer you might find one that would fit. You could also separate the point and the flat before cooking but sounds like you want to cook the whole damn piece of meat whole and I don't blame ya. I also had that issue on rib cooks with the ends hanging over the diffuser getting charred a little. You could try draping it over the rib rack until it shrinks up a bit.

Akron vs Packers

I had zero success with packers when I owned an Akorn. However, Chuckies cooked up fantastic. You know that front latch on the Akorn?? It's not to make it snug top to bottom. It's there so if you move it, it does not tip and spill if you hit a rock or crack in patio. I found it to be an excellent grill, and with enough practice probably would have been an excellent smoker. I found it's portability and lightweight to be a hindrance more than a help.

I've seen cooks drape the packers over 4 qt stainless colanders. Then lay flat a couple hours into cook when shrinkage has occurred.

Did I just say "shrinkage?"

I've cooked dozens of packers on my bubba kegs which are around 18.5. Look for smaller packers 12lbs and under and don't let the cooker get too hot or can cook the ends too fast. 250-275* is a good temp. You could also put the point to one side as to make sure the flat is protected by your diffuser. On ribs you can trim the ends a little, either way you may lose one of the end pieces anyway.

I cooked big packers on my 18.5 ceramic. If it was a big packer I inverted my rib/roast rack I put the packer on the rack so it would fit.

I cooked big packers on my 18.5 ceramic. If it was a big packer I inverted my rib/roast rack I put the packer on the rack so it would fit.

thanks

do you go fat side up or down when you use a rack like that in an 18.5 ceramic ( or akorn ) ?

I do have issues with cooking ribs in my Akorn. I'm always worried I'll burn the ends since it's exposed past the diffuser. The most I've done were 3 racks, but it was with one of those rib racks. I didn't care much for it and it was some what tricky, but they turned out good.

Be nice if char-griller could make a bigger size Akorn.

I cooked a packer just this past Saturday on an Akorn. It was a little tight at first, but it fit and it came out great. This one weighed just under 12 lbs. I have done 15-16 lb packers in it before.

I tried posting a picture, but all I get is the little black square and no photo.

Fat side down.. that's where the heat is coming from.

Back