My WSM vs PBC head-to-head review!

Nice review. I thought about a PBC also (and i too have a 18.5"wsm and 22.5"wsm ) but thought "why?". I can cook pbc style on the wsm just fine, remove the water pan and boom! I've done chicken, ribs, butts, and briskets that way. As i see it the wsm is so much more versatile then the pbc, for $10 more...I'll take the wsm any day!

Smart man...

Good write-up/comparison.

fwiw - Weber makes hanging racks for the 18.5 & 22.5. So you can hang stuff & not use a water pan. Kinda negates many of the wins given to the PBC.

I have that rack, and FWIW it's not close to as sturdy or as useful as the rebar on the PBC. I've also hung stuff in the WSM and it doesn't get done any faster than with the water pan. I think that's a huge advantage of the PBC. I've used both and love both. The advantages for each that I'm listing are as I've observed them.

This back and forth was definitely foreseeable. The truth is they are apples and oranges apart. The WSM hanging rack does make it more like the PBC but the PBC can never really be more like the WSM. :twitch: Clear as mud?

I don't have to have either to know this: Temp control will always go to the WSM and meat hanging over the hot briquette coals will not get done faster or better on one cooker or the other while at the same temps. The rebar probably is a better easier way to hang though...I know I like it.

Curious how many temps you guys are running on the wsm. I'm not knocking the wsm and as I've stated before I'd like to have one some day. But I think the comments about the lack of temp control on the PBC are a little exaggerated. Mine is set to run at 270-280. Thats where I cook on it most of the time. If I start it with 2-4 less lit coals it'll run 20-25° cooler. If I pull a rod OR Crack the lid very slightly it'll run 25°ish hotter. Crack the lid a little more I can get 350, little more 375-400. It's running at 370 right now on a chicken cook. I may be wrong but I call that temp comtrol. But what do I know, I just own one and cook on it every weekend. :becky:

Andrew when people talk temp control, what they mean is they can dial in whatever temp they choose. If you want 310 I can dial in 310 or 225 or 350...whatever you can dial it in. By having exhaust wide open and tweaks on the intake you can dial temps to the ridiculous and keep good exhaust the whole cook. I know the WSM can do low temps all day long and that's nice for things like warm smoking cured foods.

What you're saying is temps can be manipulated on the PBC using primarily the exhaust, yes they can

I can't speak for everyone but it's pretty nice not messing with exhaust and simple tweaks on the intake. Only on my jimmy can I do this but I can go from 250 to 500-600* and back to 250* in 10-15 minutes. That's not a practical example but that's the idea.

Curious how many temps you guys are running on the wsm. I'm not knocking the wsm and as I've stated before I'd like to have one some day. But I think the comments about the lack of temp control on the PBC are a little exaggerated. Mine is set to run at 270-280. Thats where I cook on it most of the time. If I start it with 2-4 less lit coals it'll run 20-25° cooler. If I pull a rod OR Crack the lid very slightly it'll run 25°ish hotter. Crack the lid a little more I can get 350, little more 375-400. It's running at 370 right now on a chicken cook. I may be wrong but I call that temp comtrol. But what do I know, I just own one and cook on it every weekend. :becky:

FWIW I pulled a rod today (and boy does that hurt) when cooking chicken halves and they were done in an hour an 10 minutes. Usually takes 2 hours. I noticed the skin was crispier but the flavor was not as smokey as with the longer cook. May not do it again but does give me an option if I need to speed up my cook.

Andrew when people talk temp control, what they mean is they can dial in whatever temp they choose. If you want 310 I can dial in 310 or 225 or 350...whatever you can dial it in. By having exhaust wide open and tweaks on the intake you can dial temps to the ridiculous and keep good exhaust the whole cook.

Oh ok! I was wondering because I've read all over this forum not to worry about a 10-15° shift in temps so I just figured 20-25 degrees was controlling temperature.
You are right, I can't dial in an exact temp on the PBC. Just my set temp of 270ish them a 20-25° increase depending on how I crack the lid. Oh and of course I can get a 20-25° decrease if I light less coal from the start.

Oh ok! I was wondering because I've read all over this forum not to worry about a 10-15° shift in temps so I just figured 20-25 degrees was controlling temperature.
You are right, I can't dial in an exact temp on the PBC. Just my set temp of 270ish them a 20-25° increase depending on how I crack the lid. Oh and of course I can get a 20-25° decrease if I light less coal from the start.

It is controlling IMO, I for one could care less if I'm cooking at 275 or 300 for some things as an example. Other methods i.e roti cooking over fire I don't care if i'm 350 or 550*

When you're talking WSM style cookers though I think many people want fine temp control and want it from the intake. I know as an example if you were hanging from 2 rods you'd be limited how much you can manipulate the temps.

We can't have a tie breaker. :tsk:

Ok I got it.... If you would have removed the water pan the chicken could have tilted WSM or worst case been a tie because it wouldn't have been rubbery, actually it would have been fantastic done right.

Now aren't y'all glad I solved the tie breaker! :heh: :cool:

Last edited:
We can't have a tie breaker. :tsk:

Ok I got it.... If you would have removed the water pan the chicken could have tilted WSM or worst case been a tie because it wouldn't have been rubbery, actually it would have been fantastic done right.

Now aren't y'all glad I solved the tie breaker! :heh: :cool:

You know, it's okay to take a break from trying to be right all the time. Don't wear yourself out, you've had a big day. :clap2:

Thank you for taking the time to do this whole "study" of the cookers, nicely done! I figured there would be some back and forth about it, but I simply appreciate your time and efforts on this, and a your opinions as well.

KC

I own both as well, and mostly agree.

I have a 22" WSM, so it moves the favor a bit more in that direction but pretty much everything still applies.

I will say that the "set it and forget it" nature of the PBC isn't always great. If you get a windy day, not being able to adjust it has its drawbacks. It took me a while to learn how to make it do what I needed it to do in less-than-ideal weather. The WSM's vent control is amazingly versatile and makes up for its slightly more complicated nature. It took me less cooks as a WSM owner to get the hang of the temp control than the amount of tricky weather PBC cooks it took me to be able to make it work. So I'd actually say the ease of use award goes to the WSM.

I'm 100% with you on the chicken. That's the WSM weakest area and the pit barrel's strongest. And my opinion on the brisket and shoulder is similar. I usually use the PBC just for the 65% time savings, but if maximum flavor and quality is what the goal is, I'll take my WSM over it.

I make ribs on both. Both are great, it's just a matter of what you want them to taste like. When I cook for friends and family, I usually toss some baby backs on hooks and hang them in the PBC. Most of my people coming over for dinner like the lean, charry, crisp type of bite. But when I compete, it's spares in the WSM. I can craft my favors, exact heat, bark, color and bite much more precise on the WSM. More versatility means more control.

I have the old 1st gen PBC, and like the porcelain coated newer ones. I didn't realize Noah switched to thicker steel too. (You sure it's not just the porcelain coating makng it seem bulkier?). Either way, I'm a bit jealous...

When people ask me which I prefer, I say it like this:

If I woke up hearing sounds on my deck that my PBC was being stolen, I'd yell, be angry and call the police. I'd probably replace it if it wasn't returned.

If somemebody was stealing my WSM? I'd come out shooting.

Last edited:
Back