Check my math - catering for 200

Williefb

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I always like to make sure that I'm on target when figuring. I hate to see a lot of food (profit) thrown away but I NEVER want to run out. My boys are doing a job next weekend for 200 people. The crowd will be a mix of men, women, & children.

Menu - pulled pork with buns, coleslaw, baked beans, chips, tea, & water (tap)

12 oz cups, 8.75" plates

• 12 butts @ 8 lbs = 96 lbs uncooked = 48 lbs cooked / 3.2 oz sandwich = 240 sandwiches (we will serve)
  • 50 lbs coleslaw = 4 oz / pp
  • 50 lbs beans = 4 oz / pp
  • Chips - 10 bags of 14 oz chips
  • Buns - 10 @ 24 pack = 240
  • Tea - 20 gallons - (15 gallons of sweet tea & 5 gallons of unsweet tea)
Based on what I've seen overtime with our servings most folks don't average 4 oz per sandwich on a standard bun and the yield on the butts are better than 50%

If I'm off somewhere let me know your thoughts!

Thanks

3 oz is a weak sammie. Figure minimum 4 and if your free handing making the sammies figure 5oz.

Leftover food should never be lost profit. You charge for what you make. Leftovers should not be your concern.

You may be a little heavy on the sides as i see most people take less sides when the meat is good. ;)

3 oz is a weak sammie. Figure minimum 4 and if your free handing making the sammies figure 5oz.

Leftover food should never be lost profit. You charge for what you make. Leftovers should not be your concern.

You may be a little heavy on the sides as i see most people take less sides when the meat is good. ;)

Fair enough and thank you for your input and your comments - based on my math 12 butts still gets me knocking right at the 4oz / sandwich number for 200.

Thanks gain!

I'd throw on the 13th or 14th butt so I'd have my 10% cushion. Better to error on the high side of dead zero I think.

Back