some of the best cooks I've had...

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
...are the ones that don't go according to plan. am I the only one?

Friday night I was cooking for our baby shower on Saturday. nothing I haven't done before, 2 butts and a brisket. the plan was to get the meat on at around 11pm and have it finished and holding around 10 am. we were serving around 2-3 but I had to be on site for party prep around 12

I had my trusty drum rolling at 275 an hour early but knew when I added nearly 30 lbs of cold meat the temp would drop. my drum only has the one grate so things were cramped more than I liked. by midnight the cooker was only reading just over 200 on the dial (I'm sure meat being close to the stem gave a false reading). I opened another intake and went to lay down for a few hours.

dammit! forgot to set my alarm. woke up around my usual 530am and the pit was not reading more than 225 and visually my meat was not as far along as I needed. I flipped the meat to get some better color and let the last intake loose. I had to get enough color to wrap and move to the oven and put the spurs to it.

although I don't typically foil during the cook (only after) I decided to foil the butts and hit them hard @350 in the oven. they were done and bled off some heat before going in the cooler at 11.

the brisket needed more pit time but eventually I paper wrapped and put the spurs to her too. I wasn't going to have enough time to bleed off the heat from the brisket if I let it finish completely so I had to pull just a little early and let carryover do the rest.

the results were impressive. the pork was just about perfect, maybe a bit more bark. I dressed in my usual vinegar sauce and added rub to flavor with the reserved juices. the brisket doneness was better than I've been doing lately. I tend to overcook them a little. this one would have passed the bend test perfectly. I think the biggest sign that I did well was indicated by how much bbq sauce was used. about 40 guests didn't bother to use more than a 12 oz bottle of sauce.

sorry no pics, I just don't document cooks like I used to

yep- the "oh Sh!+" stuff always feels more hands- on, bobbing and weaving, ducking an diving than a boring normal cook. My plan b- ? don't always score touchdowns- but when they do they just feel more rewarding. For the failures: I have a shovel, a back yard and Dominos on speed dial.

Glad yours rocked, sir.

I believe this is a sign of a great cook. It's easy when it goes as planned. If it hits the fan and you figure out how to knock it out of the park then you either have a lot of experience or great instinct.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I know exactly where you are coming from, but I have also had cooks that I thought were going perfectly and were slightly tougher than I expected, so the main takeaway here is to keep the BBQ gods happy and they will smile down on you :wink:

I believe this is a sign of a great cook. It's easy when it goes as planned. If it hits the fan and you figure out how to knock it out of the park then you either have a lot of experience or great instinct.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

This for sure. Textbook is easy enough. Overcoming obstacles is the real challenge. I'm always proudest of my cooks when something goes sideways and I'm able to recover.

I think what this really shows is that you know what you are doing when things don't go to plan.

That's the difference between a true Pitmaster and a beginner, or someone who simply can't figure out what they need to do.

Well done!

Bill

This for sure. Textbook is easy enough. Overcoming obstacles is the real challenge. I'm always proudest of my cooks when something goes sideways and I'm able to recover.

you never truly know a person until you've seen them face adversity. teddy atlas once said of mike tyson that his real record is 0-6. what he meant any time he face real adversity in a fight he lost.

deep thoughts for the day i guess

Back