Pretrimming meat at home, before competition

TSkyrocket

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I did my first comp this past weekend at Red, White and BBQ in Westmont, IL. During meat inspection, the judge asked if I knew that I could have done the messy meat trimming at home, to which I obviously said no.
How far can you go with chicken? Can you scrape the skin fat at home? The question didn't occur to me until I was cleaning up a pile of chicken fat off my cutting board.

Thank you in advance.

The general rule of thumb is that you can take away from the meat but you can't add.

About the skin, yes you can scrape skins at home. No seasoning at home though (including brines)

The general rule of thumb is that you can take away from the meat but you can't add.

About the skin, yes you can scrape skins at home. No seasoning at home though (including brines)

Yep. You can take away for an of the meats, as much as you want, but you can add anything to any of the meats.

I did my first comp this past weekend at Red, White and BBQ in Westmont, IL. During meat inspection, the judge asked if I knew that I could have done the messy meat trimming at home, to which I obviously said no.
How far can you go with chicken? Can you scrape the skin fat at home? The question didn't occur to me until I was cleaning up a pile of chicken fat off my cutting board.

Thank you in advance.
You can trim any and all of your meat at home, you just cannot season, inject, brine etc. As said before, you can take away but not add.

Thank you in advance.

Hey there TS Where is Schaumburg are you...I just moved back there three weeks ago! (Born and raised there too)

Back