Brisket size question

bgross88

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What's the largest brisket you've seen in a cooler? I just left restaurant depot and they had a 29.4 lb brisket for sale. It was a monster. I've never seen one that size. Looked like someone butchered an elephant. LOL

No I didn't buy it.

What's the largest brisket you've seen in a cooler? I just left restaurant depot and they had a 29.4 lb brisket for sale. It was a monster. I've never seen one that size. Looked like someone butchered an elephant. LOL

No I didn't buy it.

Came from the same cow as those ribs that flipped fred flinstone's car.

biggest iv seen in a case is around 23lbs. I though that was silly.

rb

in person? 20lbs and that is almost double the size i need.

There was a near 30 lbs brisket from tender D. Unfortunately i think that brisket had a drinking problem.

28 and change at Sam's...

Brisket shouldn't be that big...

No I didn't buy it.

You didn't buy it!! :doh:. That would have been the biggest I've seen in person and cooked.

Here is a thread on a 28lb'er I bought at RD (some older pics missing, but still a lot in there)

Here is one where a friend saw a 29.19lb at sams and he bought it for me :biggrin1:

Saw a pic on FB someone shared where a guy had a 32lb'ish SRF.

At Sams club two weeks ago I had the choice of a 13 lb or a 21 lb brisket for the same price per pound, $2.68. I thought to myself, what kind of a cow yields a 13 lb brisket and what kind of cow (or bull?) yields a 20+ lb brisket, and what is the likely difference in meat quality?

We went home with the 13 pounder and if I wanted 20+ pounds of brisket I think I would have bought two smaller ones rather than the larger one.

When hunting wild game like elk or deer I have had better luck with the younger, smaller animals rather than the bigger older ones. I'm not a horn hunter so my primary consideration is meat quality.

I don't know if this line of thinking translates from wild meat to domestic and I may be completely off base. I would love to hear other opinions and experiences.

At Sams club two weeks ago I had the choice of a 13 lb or a 21 lb brisket for the same price per pound, $2.68. I thought to myself, what kind of a cow yields a 13 lb brisket and what kind of cow (or bull?) yields a 20+ lb brisket, and what is the likely difference in meat quality?

We went home with the 13 pounder and if I wanted 20+ pounds of brisket I think I would have bought two smaller ones rather than the larger one.

When hunting wild game like elk or deer I have had better luck with the younger, smaller animals rather than the bigger older ones. I'm not a horn hunter so my primary consideration is meat quality.

I don't know if this line of thinking translates from wild meat to domestic and I may be completely off base. I would love to hear other opinions and experiences.

The beef you find in stores will be feeder cattle, here is a little thought about that for the reading...

https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/feeder-cattle-grades-and-standards

I was at Sam's a couple years ago and picked up a 25.5lb and a little over 26lb brisket out of the same meat cooler.

After trimming it appeared to me that I had about 4 more pounds of fat than normal.:sad:

I was at Sam's a couple years ago and picked up a 25.5lb and a little over 26lb brisket out of the same meat cooler.

After trimming it appeared to me that I had about 4 more pounds of fat than normal.:sad:

I was wondering how much of it was fat.

About 25+ thought that was huge. What was the brisket going for?

An old bull would not grade out as choice. Most of them get ground up for hamburger not cuts.

My guess is you are seeing a steer that was not marketed soon enough and got too big. Some packers will dock you for sending them ones outside of a certain weight range.

I think the size has more to do with the different breeds of cattle than the age. We raised Angus charolais cross for slaughter. An Angus would finish out at 1000 A purebred charolis about 1400, the cross would finish out at 1200. The slaughter house like the charolais Angus cross.

Back