Cold smoking on WSM?

I would think it would work.
A cast iron skillet on that burner with some smoke wood chips in it.

I use my WSM for cold smoking during cooler months.

I made a smoke generator out of an empty tin-can and a cheap soldering iron. You drill a hole in the side of the can, near the bottom, stick the soldering iron through the hole, and put wood chips in the can. Plug in the soldering iron, and you get good smoke, with very little heat.

picture.php

CD

This also works well. Firebricks in a square and a few hot briqs with a chunk of wood on top. Add a couple briqs as they burn down.
2013-04-16150956.jpg

I just cold smoked some cheese on my 18.5" WSM. I used an A-MAZE-N smoke generator, and it worked like a charm. My wife was amazed at the amount of smoke it could generate and not melt the cheese.

you can skip buying anything and just put some ice in the water pan, set unlit briquettes up in a ring or zig-zag lines like dominos on the charcoal grate put chips on the briq's every so often and then put 2 or 3 lit briqs at one end of the line.

As 1 briq burns out the next one lights, you'll get several hours of low temp burn out of it.

Caseydogs smoke generator works like a charm. I built one and have used it with great success, numerous times.

Matt

Thanks guys for all your great suggestions! I look forward to doing some experiments with cold smoking.:-D

use a small fire and put ice in the water pan.

use a small fire and put ice in the water pan.
Very interested in a setup for cold smoking fish in the WSM.

The small fire and ice makes sense but seems like the heat/smoke would be very difficult to keep regulated to a low temp over a period of many hours.

I like the basic theory of this setup but don't like the crude execution. Wonder if anyone sells a kit that replicates the idea without the tape

Very interested in a setup for cold smoking fish in the WSM.

The small fire and ice makes sense but seems like the heat/smoke would be very difficult to keep regulated to a low temp over a period of many hours.

I like the basic theory of this setup but don't like the crude execution. Wonder if anyone sells a kit that replicates the idea without the tape

That sure seems like a lot of hassle for something that can be done with a couple of briquettes, a couple fire bricks and some wood chips.

That sure seems like a lot of hassle for something that can be done with a couple of briquettes, a couple fire bricks and some wood chips.
Never tried it but I can't imagine trying to regulate a low heat fire under fish for 12 or more hours.

I have a couple ideas to get rid of the tape including spring steel vent clips and high temp magnets.

Back