Grilling the perfect Rib-Eye steak

What do you think is the best way to grill a Rib-Eye?

• Direct first then indirect

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • Indirect first then direct

Votes: 61 42.7%
  • Full time direct

Votes: 54 37.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MountainMan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What do you think is the best way to grill a Rib-Eye?

• Indirect first then direct
  • Direct first then indirect
  • Full time direct
  • Other

I know it's a matter of taste but I like the reverse sear method. Light smoke then high heat sear to finish.

Back when beef was reasonable, I'd go high direct all the way..

I cook mine direct for 3 minutes a side, then indirect for 3 minutes a side...works for me.

It depends on how thick a steak we're talking about.. Under 2", it's getting a face melting high heat. Over 2, smoked at low temp first, then a face melting high heat.

yup 2" is the dividing line

For a long time I would sear them direct and then cook them slow indirect but thanks to this site I now cook them direct hot and fast so it puts a good char on them.

Indirect to 115* IT, and then throw on screaming hot upside down grill grates to get a good char on both sides.

Oh, and don't buy any steaks less than 1.5" thick. Might as well do a burger if smaller than that.

Yea basically Shagdog method. I don't mind standard grocery store thickness steaks. More crust to meat ratio, cooks fast and between my steak and what the misses can't finish it's just enough. That said there is nothing like a thick steak slow cook until the fat renders a bit then super seared.

I've done reverse sear and thinks its great, but the issue I have is knowing when to move it to the direct side. too much potential to ruin a good cut of beef (i like mine rare-medium rare).

OF course, I usually buy steaks no more than 1" thick

Hey guys - new to this site (which is awesome so far), but i typically like to sear first, then slow it down to finish... This has me wanting to reverse that thought now! Will give it a shot next time!

Back