Rib Pr0n. I finally got it down!

noclss2000

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So Friday night when walking around the local store to get some random beer to try, I decided to try my hand at ribs again. My previous three attempts at ribs have been less than perfect. They tasted good, but they were just too tough.
I made a basic rib rub (paprika, brown sugar, cayenne, kosher salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder) and got a nice coat on the ribs and this time ran the grill at 275 instead of ~240. I also decided to do the 3-2-1 method, which ended up being more of a 3-2-10 minute method (too hungry). This time, they came out perfect. The meat was falling off the bone and the taste was perfect. I must say, it was some of the best ribs I've ever had :)
10170756_10201986015394818_2949334167276720141_n.jpg

Those look awesome! Gonna have to try some baby backs sometime - they seem to be a lot easier to find lately, and those ribs look delicious!

Good looking ribs!
You say 3+2+10 minutes. But I'd like to know the foil stage 2 h at 275F with what in ? Sugar, honey, apple juice? Nothing?

Congratulations on the great cook. Looks good from here!

It's a good feeling when you get something figured out. Ribs look good!

Looks good. I too had better luck with my ribs when I started to cook at ~275º.

I do my ribs at 275F also.

The 3-2-1 method is (I think) designed for cooking at 225. You need to cut the times down (as you saw) if you're cooking at higher temps. Another 50 minutes at 275 and you probably would have had mush.

At 275F, I do more like 2-0.75-0.5. 2 hours in the smoke, 45 minutes in foil, half an hour or so unwrapped and glazed. I like my ribs with more bite though, like a tender pork chop instead of falling off the bone.

After you get comfortable with times/heat try them again unfoiled and see if you prefer them, I had too much going on one day and just let them ride naked, and I found I actually preferred it!

Back