New UDS Build, A 1st For Me

oldsmobubble

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
So last Saturday (4/12/2014) I finally finished my UDS (see pics below) and so far with only seasoning and playing with the temps a little bit I have to say this thing is AMAZING. I looked over the awesome thread on this site and checked out a few others for additional ideas.

On the bottom there are 4 2" metal castors
4 3/4" intakes, 3 straight through and 1 full port valve
Inside has 4 shelving tracks so I can make the cooking racks and water pan all adjustable if needed.

When I seasoned it I used the charcoal basket (17" diameter & 12" tall) another 17" charcoal grate to hold the water pan and 2 22.5 weber kettle grates.

So I filled the charcoal basket up halfway (because that was all the charcoal I had on hand) and opened up all the intakes and got the thing upto about 500 degrees or so and let it go for about 2-3 hours. Then I decided to lower the temp to about 225 & I would say that for the next 16 hours it held an average of 200 degrees. Like I said before this thing is freaking AWESOME! My only regret is that I did not kame one sooner.

Now I am just looking for a cover, so I have checked out the furum and will consider a 55 gallon contractor grade trash bag which I already have so I will be trying that out tonight.

First cook will be tomorrow doing beef short ribs before my big cook of our 20 pould ham for Easter (which has been bringing for about 10 days or so).

Attachments

• IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 141
Nice looking Drum what is that thing that looks like a Bedpan sitting on the grate?

Bludawg, it's a stainless steel mixing bowl that I'm planning on using as my water pan, but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Looks like it would be unstable and tip water on your coals with a slight bump. I would suggest a water pan with a wider base if you plan to use one regularly.

Other than that, good lookin' drum!

Bludawg, it's a stainless steel mixing bowl that but I am open to any and all suggestions.
Suggestion, don't use a water pan...you just don't need one, also it's taking away from the biggest benefit of a UDS which is cooking over coals.

If you want a diffuser of some type which i like btw then just take a pizza pan and drill it out.

Nice looking drum you built!

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna try the water pan tomorrow because I have it and we'll see how it goes I may be going out and getting a holy pizza pan.

Back