Help trimming spare ribs

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi there
Wanted help trimming up some spare ribs. American cuts are still relatively unknown down this way - they think they know them, but they don't really. I have three pictures… I would like your advice… should I cut along the black/green line or the black yellow line? The example I have in the third picture is along the black green line (mostly J). NOTE: the first two pictures are identical and show two racks... the lower rack is untrimmed and to show the before situation... the upper rack is laid on top and was meant to show where I actually cut.

The reason I ask is because the belly is a different meat type to the ribs (it is paler, like loin) and when I cook country ribs which is basically these ribs with nothing trimmed, then the belly can get pretty chewy.

A second question, the last picture shows the results of cutting along the black/green line… see the membrane on the left… should that be pulled off to let the rub etc get better penetration. Many of us do so on the rib side… what about here?

TIA for your assistance.

Attachments

• WP_20140726_002.jpg
    WP_20140726_002.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 216
  • WP_20140726_002+lines.jpg
    WP_20140726_002+lines.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 216
  • WP_20140726_006.jpg
    WP_20140726_006.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 214
Seems like you're pretty close to what American cutting is like.....it's starting from a bit different style cut, for sure.....

Looks like you got it pretty even thickness, which is good for an even cookup.....could loose the membrane / silver skin stuff, wouldn't hurt......

Question: Do you save the thick piece on the right that was cut off?

Looks like there's a decent amount of meat there that could be cooked up separately.................

Yes your ribs still have the belly in place. I have seen people leave it on for the cook, but most remove it and use the belly as another cut of meat.

Cutting the Black and Yellow would remove the belly meat. As far as the membrane on top, it usually trims of pretty easy.

EDIT: The meat on top of the bones should be uniformly even, This allows for uniform cooking.

Keep us posted on your cook...

Last edited:
Thanks guys...they are about to go on while I watch the last two hours of the Tour de F. Estimated 4-5 hours at 260-275 which is where my WSM likes to sit. Picture shows the before and after trim from the above.

I am wondering what to do with the skinny belly, for this time I just rubbed up and will cook along with the ribs, coming off earlier. I have the riblets as well (on the right in the pikkie) and will do those tomorrow after I read a few suggestions from the search.

Attachments

• WP_20140726_001.jpg
    WP_20140726_001.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 178
Thanks guys...they are about to go on while I watch the last two hours of the Tour de F. Estimated 4-5 hours at 260-275 which is where my WSM likes to sit.

I am wondering what to do with the skinny belly, for this time I just rubbed up and will cook along with the ribs, coming off earlier. I have the riblets as well (on the right in the pikkie) and will do those tomorrow after I read a few suggestions from the search.

You can make side bacon from the belly, or just cook it up with the ribs. If you cook it, it will have a silky texture and will almost melt in your mouth.

The riblets make great snacks as the ribs themselves cook.

Its almost seperate, like if you take your knife run it in the fat where the black line is, it will come apart very easily if it doesnt, wrong area. Look at the top picture there you can see the fat under the belly to the right and you can kind of see the line right across. black/yellow line is about right. they are real good cooking them as is also.

I it was me I'd cook em belly on like Killen's BBQ does

courtesy TMBBQ

Bone-in Pork Belly - For the anatomically unaware, the pork belly (which is where bacon comes from) is attached to the lower portion of the rib cage. When the ribs are removed, they are called spare ribs. When the ribs are left on it’s called heavenly. That is, if all those layers of fat can be adequately cooked.
The additional lean meat of the spare rib brings a new dimension to smoked pork belly. The outer edge tasted like peppered bacon, while the interior was full of the juiciest pork imaginable. At a couple inches thick, it’s a showpiece, but every inch is worth savoring. This is one item that should be on every order at Killen’s.

Here is a WIP shot, 2 hrs in, used water as I was a bit worried that the H&F cook would dry them out a bit. I didn't have time when they came off for photos... the visitors were from Sweden and I had to be on time, plus it was dark. So they were done in 3 hours at 300-310 (had to make sure they finished in time), and I did leave a lot more meat on this lot... they were superb, can't describe how good. When coupled with the Bourbon apple sauce from Chris Lilly recipe... the Swedes had never tasted anything like it - quite surprised it was American style. Pity the meat is so expensive... 16.99/kg for those ribs, the 4 racks cost NZD$128 (USD $6.50/lb).

Thanks for your help everyone, I really enjoyed doing my own trimming and now I have a pile of riblets and porky bits to experiment with. I am going to try some with Hoisin sauce.

Attachments

• WP_20140727_004-cooking.jpg
    WP_20140727_004-cooking.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 79
Back