So my first tri-tip was marginal...

crboggs

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Chris
Set the smoker for 275 and pulled the tri-tip at 120 internal to sit while I pulled the diffusion plate and put in the grill grates before bumping the smoker to 450. Tri-tip went back on the grates for a reverse sear once it reached 450 and the grill grates were hot.

Pulled the tri-tip and sliced an edge piece off to test. Taste was great but it was a little chewy and probably needed a little more time on the grill grates.

Thoughts...

1) I could probably have pulled it a little later...maybe 125-130...since I like things closer to medium than to rare.
2) I need to evaluate how long the reverse sear takes in order to make sure I not only get that sear on there but finish the cooking process as well.
3) I've read that slicing a tri-tip incorrectly can result in it being chewy.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

The grain on a tritip switches direction, so you have to slice at two angles.

20170329_Timberline-Tips-Tritip-Against-The-Grain-Infographic_BG

The grain on a tritip switches direction, so you have to slice at two angles.

20170329_Timberline-Tips-Tritip-Against-The-Grain-Infographic_BG

Perfect diagram Ron. Always slice across the grain. I’ve also found that tri-tip can be hit or miss like any cut of meat. I’ve gotten some that are melt in your mouth tender, others that are chewy. It’s a cut of beef, so the purveyor matters.

I've done several of these lately and I'm getting great results as follows:

1. Simple rub (SPG with Worchestershire sauce binder) and a few hours in the fridge

2. 225°F pellet smoker until meat reaches 132°F to 135°F (about an hour and fifteen minutes usually)

3. 550°F sear in the kitchen oven for ten to twelve minutes.

4. Slice (against the grain) and Enjoy!

Yesterday I gave one of these to a realtor for whom my wife does transaction coordination and accounting. Last night after dinner he and his wife phoned and couldn't stop raving.

Set the smoker for 275 and pulled the tri-tip at 120 internal to sit while I pulled the diffusion plate and put in the grill grates before bumping the smoker to 450. Tri-tip went back on the grates for a reverse sear once it reached 450 and the grill grates were hot.

Pulled the tri-tip and sliced an edge piece off to test. Taste was great but it was a little chewy and probably needed a little more time on the grill grates.

Thoughts...

1) I could probably have pulled it a little later...maybe 125-130...since I like things closer to medium than to rare.
2) I need to evaluate how long the reverse sear takes in order to make sure I not only get that sear on there but finish the cooking process as well.
3) I've read that slicing a tri-tip incorrectly can result in it being chewy.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

VxTbOWR.jpg

1. They are all in the 2.5 pound range so the carry-over temp is somewhat consistant as long as you generally grill with the same kind of fire.

2. Tri-tip lends itself very well for sous vide then end searing, and pretty much eliminates end sear time since the roast is perfectly done to YOUR particular internal temp. The end sear is just for color.

3. Ron's diagram is very nice, notice how the slicing angle changes (curves) ever so slightly on the long side. I always locate the 'elbow' which is my first cut, then I attack the two pieces. I don't think I've ever cooked one without a little sketch on a sticky note or a phone photo showing me the grain direction before I cook it. And not all of them are the perfect shape.

Great feedback guys...I think I pulled it early, didn't sear long enough, and missed the change in the grain.

BUT...it was still very tasty. I used olive oil and Kinder's "The Blend". At least I got that part right.

I'll try again next time I can snag a nice tri-tip and correct the technical errors.

Like pretty much any cut of meat, tenderness depends a lot on how much the muscle was worked.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

One of these days I have to get a tri-tip, just have a hard time paying $7.50lb when for 9ish I can get ribeye

One of these days I have to get a tri-tip, just have a hard time paying $7.50lb when for 9ish I can get ribeye

That's quite a difference from the price here in Idaho. I've seen it here at $7.00lb, but often it's as low as $4.00lb.

I got a small tri-tip at $4.99/lb and the wife and daughters were away so I decided it was a good night to experiment.

Tonight's adventure will be porterhouses...

I have several SRF prime tri tips in the freezer.I have cooked a couple.They are O.K. May grind one into burger and see how that goes.I thought I ordered 3 but there was 3 per pack so I ended up with 9. :roll: I liked it pretty well but the “tribe” thinks tenderloin is the only steak in the world that should not be burger.Dumbasses.

Back