Drum burnout

prodano

Knows what a fatty is.
Hello,

I recently purchased the Big Poppa Smokers kit and food grade drum, but am having issues with the burnout.

Drilled all holes and filled charcoal basket with about 14-16 pounds of charcoal. Been going for about 3 hrs now and the paint isn't showing any signs of peeling off.

What am I doing wrong? Should I add more charcoal to the basket? Concerned with compromising the integrity of the drum.

Thanks!

Get ahold of a few pallets. Pull all the boards apart and stand them straight up inside the drum and light. As you add more boards, lean them up against a different part of drum so it all gets to burn.

Or, you could even lay the drum on its side and lay the boards in flat. Just make sure to turn it half way thru so the bottom burns out too.

Is your drum even lined? If it's not lined there might not be a need to burn it out.

Do you think some charcoal and 2 bundles of firewood will do the trick? Will it affect the strength of the barrel?

Do you think some charcoal and 2 bundles of firewood will do the trick? Will it affect the strength of the barrel?

No. A mini house fire is needed. Drum warpage is also possible depending on the wall thickness of the drum. I would suggest skipping this step and have the drum sandblasted.
Good luck,

No. A mini house fire is needed. Drum warpage is also possible depending on the wall thickness of the drum. I would suggest skipping this step and have the drum sandblasted.
Good luck,

Not a bad idea, thanks!

Probably a bad question, but is this drum lined?

2C885AA4-BC3B-476E-AF47-B78C5A344BC8.jpg

60D65E11-79FF-4123-961E-E7467109F87A.jpg

Thanks

You've got to get rid of the liner. Make a blazing 4 alarm fire inside that thing, then use a wire brush chucked in a drill to get anything that's left. It should be shiny silver when you get through, then wash it out with dish soap, dry it immediately (before it rusts). Coat the insides with PAM and use charcoal to run it around 300-350 for a couple hours to season the inner metal.

Google "sandblasters" in your area- call one or two and see what they say. If it's cheaper than buying a new UNLINED drum, then do it. Grinding and sanding the epoxy off is a thankless, nasty, long ordeal. The stuff is tuff- and burning will still not save you from some sanding and grinding.

Reading these threads is hilarious. There is a 100+ page tutorial on building a UDS. Use it.

How difficult is this?

Put a **** ton of wood in the barrel, pour some gas and oil on top and throw in a match.

You are right Kack, no one is going to or wants to read 833 pages in the UDS thread. I believe 35 or so pages of reading and taking notes of critical items would do.

But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. the see some nice pcs. of someones UDS . read a few pages,put the CART in FRONT of the HORSE and go like hell.

I read the entire post when i build mine about 4 years ago. I thing there was only a little over 200 or so pages. I could not get over the amount of times
a single question was asked over and over and over again.

Some people would rather ask a question NOW and expect an answer as soon as possible then read about what Not to do. my rant's over now.

Back