Purchase wood chunks in NJ?

deker0

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Any good spots that sell cherry wood or apple wood chunks in the NJ area?

I’m driving to Princeton this evening and would love to pick up a pack for a cook next weekend.

Or, if any brethren in the area want to hook up a brother up? :-D :wink:

Thanks in advance.

Home depot and lowes should both have bags with chunks, at least here across the river they do :) Target and walmart also do, but not reliably, many times it just chips. Hardware stores also may stock some.

I agree with Fruitawood. I am in NJ, yet I still order from them. I've tried some of the specialty chef stores or big box stores; never liked their chunks.

Most orchard and fruit farms will give you all the wood you want in january when they cut/trim the orchards.

We had a bunch of black cherry in NJ, it grows everywhere,
scour Craigslist 'free' section
for firewood and you will find cherry, hickory occasionally.. oak usually.

EDIT - Just did and there are ZERO 'free firewood' ads - down here there are plenty.
One guy in Pennington (30 minutes from Princeton) is selling a paper bag
size of chunks for $15. Not worth the drive at all.
Go to Deep Homo - - errrrr Home Depot.

Last edited:
your local Ace Hardware many different kinds and Walmart has Western brand chunks for sale . I buy splits and chunk them myself is the best deal though .

Thanks mchar69, appreciate you checking for me. I'm in Princeton now, should be here for the next hour or two till I head back home. But yeah, I'll hit up Home Depot and see what they have.

You can use the same chunks for BBQ and firewood? I was not aware of that, figured you'd want less smoke when using it in a fireplace versus in a smoker.

We had a bunch of black cherry in NJ, it grows everywhere,
scour Craigslist 'free' section
for firewood and you will find cherry, hickory occasionally.. oak usually.

EDIT - Just did and there are ZERO 'free firewood' ads - down here there are plenty.
One guy in Pennington (30 minutes from Princeton) is selling a paper bag
size of chunks for $15. Not worth the drive at all.
Go to Deep Homo - - errrrr Home Depot.

where in nj u at? im down near the delaware bridge. we got orchards that sell wood

yes. actually i have a peach orchard down the street from me. im currently in the process of trying to get wood from the guy. i jus have to find out who owns it. from what i hear the guy jus uses the wood for winter to heat his home. so im hoping to score some for my smoker

yes. actually i have a peach orchard down the street from me. im currently in the process of trying to get wood from the guy. i jus have to find out who owns it. from what i hear the guy jus uses the wood for winter to heat his home. so im hoping to score some for my smoker

I am now extremely jealous if you score on that peach wood.

I was in Princeton just for the evening on the day that I posted.

I'll be in Parsippany next Saturday.

where in nj u at? im down near the delaware bridge. we got orchards that sell wood

Let me know if you end up getting some peach wood, I'd really want to give that a try.

But, newbie question - Can you use the same chunks for BBQ and firewood? I was not aware of that, figured you'd want less smoke when using it in a fireplace versus in a smoker.

Can you use the same chunks for BBQ and firewood? Always thought it was different for each.

Back