Greetings and start up question

Southwind

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hello to all. Very informative website. I just received my first pellet grill and I am looking for some setup advice. I have the Jim bowie from GMG.
I have to set up outside and was wondering if a cover would suffice or if I should build some sort of enclosure. I would like to grill all winter and if rain occurs during the cook should I have some sort of lean to above or build a cabinet. Dont want to block off air completely. Any sugg. Thanks. Can't wait. I'll let you know how first ribs turn out.

I use my Treager pellet pooper all winter long here in Colorado with no enclosure. Just throw a cover on it once it is cooled. Welcome to the Asylum!!!

Well a lean too would be a great thing to have so you could cook during rain or snow. Or I built a frame the size of a sheet of plywood and put that in the airi on 4"x4"'s so I have a 4'x8' roof to work under.

Go to pelletheads.com. This is a forum devoted to all things pellet cooking. The is a forum the specifically for GMG owners. It's a great and friendly site.

Welcome...GMG makes some pretty good stuff. Cooked on a DB for 5 years and it never had a problem. Just cover when cooled and enjoy!

Welcome to the Brethren!
I use a Memphis Pro pellet cooker and keep it on a covered patio. Not enclosed, just a roof overhead.

results first cook

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I fired it up for first time and grilled hamburgers. Turned out yummy. I followed that up w 2 racks of baby back ribs. I set the temp at 225. One rack had famous Dave's rib rub and the other I just used garlic powder. I used the 321 method and they looked great but they might have been a little over cooked.. I actually preferred the onion powder seasoning one better. I topped w sweet baby rays which was good. I'll keep trying and continue to post. Thanks

Back