Charcuterie drying cabinet help and other questions

bobthetomato

Knows what a fatty is.
Sooooooooo.......I have been getting into the whole making your own bacon and sausage game and want to expand to the dried meats. I have read Charcuterie and know that I need a drying cabinet. I am assuming an old fridge with a humidifier on a sensor and temp sensor would work okay. What other advice does anyone have for making a good drying cabinet? Any good write ups?

Also, for people who have done it, when you first make the sausage it is my understanding that you need to keep it at around 90 degrees for awhile to kick start the bactoferm and get the lactic acid production going. Where is the best place to do that. I run my A/C in the summer so I could hang it outside but would not want it to dry out. Any suggestions for this?

Shagdog has a great tutorial above, but here is the link to the build post by itself without having to sort through the other posts..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2909916&postcount=1

Another Build Blog can be found here...
http://benstarr.com/blog/how-to-convert-a-refrigerator-for-curing-meat-or-aging-cheese/#comment-4816

And lastly with some great input to any build.....
http://blog.sausagemaker.com/2015/11/how-to-make-dry-curing-chamber.html

Good luck and keep us posted.

Chris gave you the link to Richard, who is still in use. For the fermentation period we use a cooler with an aquarium heater. Heater in the bottom, 4-5" of water, rack above water level. Heater set to 90. 90 degrees and high humidity. Easy peasy. Can't take credit for it though... I think we stole that idea from Sam3...

Chris gave you the link to Richard, who is still in use. For the fermentation period we use a cooler with an aquarium heater. Heater in the bottom, 4-5" of water, rack above water level. Heater set to 90. 90 degrees and high humidity. Easy peasy. Can't take credit for it though... I think we stole that idea from Sam3...

So simple yet so brilliant. Like a moron, I was thinking of using my oven. That is a great idea.

Read somewhere that you can use a ready made wine cooler, Costco comes to mind.
Can control temp and humidity without building anything.

Never did this so you'd have to check it out to see if it will do the parameters you need, and it might be on the small side?

I made one out of an old wine cooler off Craigslist. I'd like bigger but it does the job.
juhrf2NiWTsBRhbRvLWhOed3UnwQA0jBmkE_E9PGQw170otI1AWVY_sT9GpQv7UIg9Lo-ss0mUiN5FDSue4g8hOHUIMGsqJcMWrLogEp2iBfOBDrRgH7-oQ8zFM60JPnVuEl0F3etOgigHLYUD1pDzXbvsEr6CPJwUq8_f09EP70nvpihD43XZXEbGxJ-6ycVeDdx7vkNsz4tLhlrfj-llQ_iXl4OGiIyOvW3DgODD7Jlr_QfpNxC03s1nkDnPfzSHEAVYedWlvfkQrA9puAlQ7rVcfCTYf1lWWfrFpl9tnUznCByOc7TDxdBTPep8_hWbX7Bemsyox8YhKI_AUGrCqR29QaqSD5j2Yr773PstLtnWz63Wzl4DuVUwm4_FfywB6rXCyRe2nUC5scKu7xPD2jhZB0u1SIZVYepgZPcxR7UMQRmUCpaqjAIGe_MW4IvNAdHVADWur1YBwaPq3Qcaoi-minUnd7QyWpR5JpSKNy8UUsxMCH6sUcd4EOLjJjthUwmltdZ2mKpWB0YfDjrqrZQkaqXMZmqYCABdRsksi-O9ZvA8olHT8R9s0RkG0ihlUAkjlHbeDqsm-hpbcyrW-sokqmVlb8L_pbEjVSXtCbMgMcX2Qs=w1689-h950-no

dhcVtal4Rc1XG34cERGX8S_IUlAecqrjBUgOgKYO9H1TW7Ikbmrra_auPbTDJI7YP1LmUdiJCGhKEIk60s4oG5ec17pVD1nyLG_rl_IL486weCxJ0gZJJcIrI6dUgYmkXjiBoKa16FXWj1E5Z_m3j4kASym810uuzKXeqQW_YmMIE6o6GJKs4_Nmap3TwzVfsppi1i3pN-vRGUGBuneEWEm4qcE_fgtO2JsqHqkgx8xDfF7vqFczAMp138eUm5mniJcNxVI4889rkwoJm27qTqyikSBYKztvYCPl3d1FALNILCKaugmoE_BHb91j_E3nvNXC_x_5QRxAB9qKhCA8zmox_POxg3C0wk2gI1OTWbYNxXNca08d5mL2HoH7JkLC0be8mN7oMrgA34uoU_2GQDb3Eh6HgrCJftfEJhvnf37RmzljMYcZNgGu4sgjJWDaGfqYsea6yKflsT4xoyQ069WLicUTR_vyqIsdZ87wRNTRnRukCISgZN2WYGRiZZm6OLj84dNerJEmaCfk5-k9q-FEvBI2vTkTCXiWlHNHQQBuhYMvdeKewT_u741ZpQm-Jw0tVQR10LIsoM13Zf5VEUuNKqB0xBno5KwlEvoAvd3QadqwpQDH=w1689-h950-no

Last edited:
Well I scored a stand up fridge for $100 on craigslist. I bleached it and an letting it dry before I fire it up. I've got to buy the temp, humidity switch and a humidifier.

Any humidifiers to stay away from? There seem to be a wide variety between $30 and $50.

I saw these a while back on Amazon.....might be worth checking out for the controllers.

INKBIRD Humidity and Temperature Dual-use Controller 1200W 110V, Thermostat Hygrostat

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J1E5LWM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_13?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A197YPAPAP8V04[/ame]

Bringing this one back up, I'm finally getting around to making my chamber. I have a 35 bottle wine fridge that will be used. I'm going to control the temp via the dial on the fridge (currently holding 55f nicely). Will be using an Ink-bird IHC-200 for humidity. As I live in Virginia and it can get well over 70% on any given day I will need both a humidifier and dehumidifier. The dehumidifier will be an: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-IVADM10-Small-Size-Thermo-Electric-Dehumidifier/dp/B00MQ7T038/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1502303441&sr=1-5&keywords=small+dehumidifier[/ame]

I can't seem to find a small ultrasonic humidifier with an analog switch, any recommendations?

I'm going to start out doing whole muscles and then move into sausages etc.

@CakeM1x what size was your fridge? How's it working for you? Do you find the fan necessary? Any pics of it loaded up?

My chamber Luigi is a direct copy of the Richard build except i had an old side by side.

Shagdogs schematic for thw control box was the deal

Anyone have an idea for a humidifier small enough for a wine cooler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it all up and running.

Using a 35 bottle wine fridge with humidifier and dehumidifier controlled by an InkBird IHC-200.

I'm having ~10 min oscillations b/t 70-85%RH.

Any way to tighten that up?

Back