Central Illinois Meat help?

ChasinChicken

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I am looking for a good place to buy quality meat in central Illinois. A lot of places I go don’t have the full briskets just flats and when I find a whole one it they are not good size or are USDA selects. Also with pork butts and ribs can only find ones at Walmart or Sam’s club that have good meat on them and good size but i am hoping there is a place with higher quality. I travel all around the central part of Illinois and can stop about any place. Any help would be great!!!

Actually some of the best ribs I get are the Sam's IBP brand in the three pack. Costco carries prime packers, looks like there is one in East Peoria.

I have always had good luck with Sam's in Champaign, IL. Usually have plenty of full packers to choose from and will gladly bring more out of the back if you don't see what you want. They even carry short ribs, not on display, but usually in the back. You just have to ask for them. (I have no idea why they are never out in the display) Baby backs, spares,butts galore.

You may want to stop in to Maggros when in Springfield. The prices are higher, but the quality is very good. I've had ribs and butts, no brisket as I get them elsewhere. You can call and ask for Tony.

http://www.magrosprocessing.com

Let me know when you find it Lol.

In Springfield:

Walmart on N Dirksen- usually carries packer choice briskets. They also have started to carry plenty of Smithfield spare ribs (both stl and regular). You will find the motherload at the 6th st location rib wise though.

Sams Club- CAB packer briskets. Butts are gtg as well. I don't care for the ribs anymore.

Gordon Food Service- packer choice briskets, ribs, and butts

Meijer: butts and ribs.

Keep in mind commodity pork is commodity pork.

I couldn't disagree more on Magros. Tiny briskets. Small ribs and butts. Maybe they wised up and started using commodity pork that actually has some size to it?

If you're near Mount Sterling you can check out Dorothy's Market, which is the store connected with Dot Foods. Full pork loins, briskets, baby back ribs, eye of round beef, whole beef ribeyes, pork shoulders, pork tenderloins. Prices are usually better than what you get at Walmart and the quality is much better. Get in touch with me if you're coming over, I get a 15% discount there.

The Butcher Block in Quincy is also good.

I like Moweaqua Packing Plant in Moweaqua Il. Friendly staff and great selection including about any cut of bison you could want. I try to get all of my meat there that I can.

Back