Wiggle Like a Loose Tooth Test Not Accurate?

jeffreywp1

is one Smokin' Farker
I cooked two 8.5 lb. butts yesterday. Some one dropped the lid on my dual probe that monitors both smoker and one for the meat , so I had one cheaper monitor to watch one butt. When the butt reached 202 IT, the bone was exposed and had a little wiggle to it. The other bone was not exposed and had no wiggle. I only needed one for dinner so when I pulled the butt that wiggled at 202 IT, I stuck the probe into the other. It was at 207 IT with no wiggle. I couldn't even pick it up without it falling apart. The first butt that had some bone wiggle was just a little underdone and the other with no wiggle was overdone. How do you guys check for doneness?

Last edited:
I'll use the bone wiggle test, but confirm by probing. There's one part of the butt that gives up last - not sure how to describe it - but I'm looking for that part to be probe tender.

If I think it's done, and the bone doesn't wiggle, I start probing. The bone is a guide. If the meat falls apart, that also is an indication it's done.

I meant wiggle like a loose tooth test for the title. Cant edit the title.

In "edit" on the original post, click "go advanced" and you can edit the title.

On topic, I probe the meat for tenderness, check temp and check bone wiggle. I use a judgment call based on those tests to determine when I pull the meat. It's what works for me.

also I have found is make sure the meat probe is not touching the bone because it will throw off your thrermometer reading .

i just probe and if it has no resistance, its done. ive never had a bone feel like it will just fall out..always takes some tugging, but always comes off cleanly. probing tender is easiest for me at least

I strictly use the bone wiggle test, don't be afraid to grab it and wiggle it with a little force. If it fell apart when you tried to pick it up the bone should have moved with a little force. But every piece of meat is different and maybe you had a stubborn one.

Glad they turned out ok for you...

I don't really like the bone test. But, I guess it is useful in a way.

I've had butts that weren't done even though the bone wiggled cleanly and vice versa.

These days i've come to the conclusion that the best way to test, for pulled that is, is temp, yes temp.

And more than that, grabbing it and trying to pick it up. How it yields tells the tale.
If I try to grab it and it is just this side of falling apart, it's done.

I don't care what the damn bone does anymore, maybe it's just me.
And as a side note, i've found most butts need to go to around 200-205 for pulled.

Temperature is not as bad an indicator as some would have you believe.

I use several different criteria to determine when a piece of meat is "done." Different criteria are emphasized for each different type of meat.

For butts, my experience is that internal temperature plays a bigger part in determining doneness. I probe at several different place, making sure to avoid touching the probe to the bone as others have said.

Obviously, it is easy to test "probe tenderness" while also probing for temp. I also use the bone wiggle test, when a bone protrudes enough to get a hold of and wiggle it, which they don't always.

Some times the bone won't wiggle loosely right away- it needs to be broken free. The stuff that holds the bones in tight is the same stuff that holds the muscles together and makes meat tough- it's highly unlikely that if the entire butt is over-cooked and falling apart that the bone would still be completely attached.

Back