Chuckie question

EricD

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey all,
I did my first chuckie this past weekend. I didn't make a cook thread because it was the first attempt and didn't want to embarrass myself just in case it didn't come out right. It did though! after the cook, I sliced half for dinner and shredded the other half for sammies, burrito's, pizza and nacho's later on.
I set up the Kettle using the snake method. Got her to 250 and threw the meat on. Now, having never done a chuckie yet I read everyone's cook threads and tips and just about everything I could find. But NO ONE mentioned the possibility of a stall! That damn chunk of meat stayed at 164 degrees for darn near 3 hours. Ended up taking about 7 hours for a 5 lb chuckie!
Has anyone else had this happen to a chuck roast?

7 hours for a 5 pound chuck is very fast! Chuck roasts should take forever and are done and only done when you can stick a fork in them and twist them like spaghetti. I've had them done at 198º and some not done until 210º. But to get them through the stall and to help with moisture and tenderness I always either foil or braise my chucks once they have smoked to 165º.

I forgot to mention, I did wrap at 164. But after it had been there for 3 hrs.
Right after wrapping it seemed to start cooking again. (note to self: wrap)
Did the fork test at 201, not yet..... tested again at 209- Done

Back