Suggestions: steak and pork chop grilling rub/seasoning?

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi there

I am off to the US tonight and while there will get my fill of BBQ from a few local spots. Hoping to try some ribs at 4505 BBQ and Burgers during the layover in San Fan on the way to Philly as well.

While in the US I'll be picking up a few rubs etc. Last time I got a variety of rubs which are unobtainable down this way (visited the Tasty Licks shop outside Reading PA to score most of them). My faves out of these are two Oakridge products - Dominator Rib rub and the Black Ops.

During the week we will often grill some pork chops (here in NZ these are always cut thin - 1/2-3/4" thick). I like Montreal Steak Seasoning, so use a substitute from Masterfoods, a local company. I'll get a few pounds of the McCormick original while in the US - while there are lots of McCormick products down this way, surprisingly can't seem to get probably one of their top sellers.

What else can you recommend for this type cooking - grilling, sometimes frying, pork chops and beef steak? First thought is the Oakridge Santa Maria grill rub. Anything else?

Of course, use SPOG regularly as well :grin:.

TIA.

Last edited:
OakRidge and PlowBoys are on Amazon - order them to be sent to where you will be staying.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002TT46DM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1418932008&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=41TsOBhJvkL&ref=plSrch"]Plowboys Yardbird Rub 14 oz:Amazon:Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61KsziUhbEL.@@AMEPARAM@@61KsziUhbEL[/ame]

^^^ What he said. Love Yardbird on pork chops. Can't beat Lawry's seasoned salt, either. Not sure if you can get that in NZ or not.

The suggestions above are great!

I also love Tatonka Dust from Owens BBQ (Brethren owned!) on steaks, chops and chicken. You will probably have to order it, but I'm sure Marty and Tanya will work with you to get it to where ever you will be.

Weber has an equivalent to Montreal Steak Seasoning called Chicago Style Seasoning that is also very good.

Well to keep in-line with your current favorites, OakRidge Santa Maria Steak Seasoning is all I use on steaks and rib roasts (prime rib), it beats the others hands down!!!!. It works well on chops and other roasts as well.

But for a change with pork, I also will use OakRidge Competition Beef and Pork Rub, it the best of both worlds and you can layer the rubs as the cook progresses.

If you have an address you are going to, Mike from OakRidge can ship the rubs ahead of your arrival to save you the time of going out to find them.

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/

PlowBoys Yardbird is THE Chit for PorkChops!!!!!!!!!

Oh, really. I have that... haven't tried it on pork chops. My only concern is the amount of paprika in it. I have gone off paprika and cumin as a result of making lots of rubs based on recipes in books and articles. I find they overpower everything else, especially cumin. Paprika just needs the volumes reduced (IMHO) - it is really a filler/extender for the other spices I think. On grilled or fried food, I find the spices are not cooked as long and so are rawer/stronger than in smoking, so I need to be more careful.

Anyway, I'll give this a shot, maybe for lunch today, before I get on the plane for SFO, kinda pre-conditioning me for the tastes to come over the next two weeks!

^^^ What he said. Love Yardbird on pork chops. Can't beat Lawry's seasoned salt, either. Not sure if you can get that in NZ or not.

We certainly get Lawry's products, I'll keep any eye out for this. I'll get some in the US 'just-in-case'. An excuse to go to Acme and gaze at the choice you guys have!

Order Oakridge direct, its way cheaper.

Tried that, unfortunately, they can't ship direct to NZ, I have to buy local in the US and take home as luggage.

Was pretty funny last trip. NZ is agricultural and they are very careful on food products at the border. I declared 10 packages of all different BBQ rubs - the guy gave me a pretty funny look - it is kinda hard to explain. I managed to avoid the drug-sniffing dog on the way out - that pooch is probably still wondering what the lingering smell was. I had:
Plowboys Bovine Bold
Plowboys Yardbird Rub
TastyLicks Original
Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust
Old Bay x 2 (can't get that here!)
Oakridge Dominator
Oakridge Competition Beef and Pork
Oakridge Black Ops
Oakridge Game Changer Brine

Ted and Barneys Seasoning is my favorite steak seasoning and big Ron's Hint of Houston is my favorite pork chop/loin seasoning. Both are Brethren and listed in the sales section

Tried that, unfortunately, they can't ship direct to NZ, I have to buy local in the US and take home as luggage.

Was pretty funny last trip. NZ is agricultural and they are very careful on food products at the border. I declared 10 packages of all different BBQ rubs - the guy gave me a pretty funny look - it is kinda hard to explain. I managed to avoid the drug-sniffing dog on the way out - that pooch is probably still wondering what the lingering smell was. I had:
Plowboys Bovine Bold
Plowboys Yardbird Rub
TastyLicks Original
Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust
Old Bay x 2 (can't get that here!)
Oakridge Dominator
Oakridge Competition Beef and Pork
Oakridge Black Ops
Oakridge Game Changer Brine

Hey, Ralph! First, thanks for your business! Second, we can ship directly to OZ or NZ, but shipping is expensive. Wish we could subsidize some how, but International shipping is just too high. So, we can ship directly to you, but be prepared for the unfortunate sphincter twitching when it comes to paying the shipping...

As a better option, we do have a retailer in Victoria. His name is Julian Hipkin and goes by the handle Smokin' J. He can be reached by email (sales@smokinj.com.au), and should be able to get you what you need.

One final option, as others have mentioned above, is to have us ship to your hotel while you're in the US. We have done this on a number of occasions, typically for contest cooks, but also for folks on holiday as well.

Thanks again, and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions. :thumb: :thumb:

Hey Ralph, I'm about 30 min from Reading, and an hour from the city. If you need an address to have something shipped to I'd be happy to do that for you. Fred's BBQ is the closest shop to me but if you're coming from Philly you might want to check out Firecraft they are in West Chester and Brethren as well, I'm sure Dan can arrange a pick up.

Oak ridge Santa maria is a good one. My current favorite for steaks is Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow. A favorite for pork that someone sent me once was a rub from a place in Wharton NJ, Sussex Meat Market. Next time I'm out that way I need to stop in. I currently use Chicago Q Bold rub for pork. Good stuff as well.

Back