Hey Hatch Heads, School Me Please!

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
How many pounds per year does a moderate to severely afflicted hatch chili addict buy to freeze for the coming year? I got to roast some last night for the first time, and agree with you degenerate farkers; these things are GOOD! I can get mild and hot Melissas, and want to have an ample supply in my freezer, but I don't want to buy an extra freezer just for chilis!

By the time (around mid September) and they quit showing up I try to have about 50 quart bags, each bag holding 7-10 chiles. I try to buy my first batch about 15-20# roasted by the vendor. I bag these as they cool with skin on. As the season progresses I get picky and buy the 6-8" colorful weighty chiles. I roast these at home and bag the same way except I usually skin and chop stem and seed. Stored flat 7-10 they take up about 1/2" of space. As the year progresses I usually will keep one bag in a stainless bowl of water in the coldest part of the fridge ready to go. I've not weighed the bags but guessing .8-1.25# per

Hatch Chile

I usually roast a "sack" which is 30 pounds. This safely carries me until next season, but there are only two of us.

I did 20# for my first time hearing of these and I forget to use them often. And I only have about 2 lbs left in the freezer. Just me and the wifey.

Funny you post this, Chris... I just found those bags of Melissa's at a Meijer in Kenosha. They only had Hot, but its the first time I've seen them around here so I bought all they had.. Considering the amount of hot peppers I have at home right now in the garden I know my wife is going to kill me, but I couldn't pass it up!

1471464951_zpsspmoz8bp.jpg

Went with 25# hot and 5# mild for the babies! $0.99/#

did they have cases on the East side? West side only had bulk. and dried.

grabbed a few kilos of each on MisterChrister's recommendation, and just roasted a few...I think I'll be headed back for more :-D

also, what's everyone's favorite thing to do with them?

grabbed a few kilos of each on MisterChrister's recommendation, and just roasted a few...I think I'll be headed back for more :-D

For us it's easier to say what we don't use them on. Cold cereal. Everything else is subject to green chile being added.

Just for grins try a grilled cheese using Swiss-American- smoked Gouda with green chile.

Yup, the produce manager told me on the phone that they had cases. I mentioned that to the produce worker who went-a-diggin in the receiving area for a few cases for me to choose from.

Just wondering: when did hatch peppers become such a dang phenomenon? I mean, I have eaten green chilis forever but now it is like this big huge deal ever year. Local groceries really play it up, too.

They're great and everything, but I guess I just don't get it.

Just wondering: when did hatch peppers become such a dang phenomenon? I mean, I have eaten green chilis forever but now it is like this big huge deal ever year. Local groceries really play it up, too.

Perhaps you're not doing it right! :pound:

I put enough chiles away to have them every other week for one year. (8 per bag, per meal)
Also canned several pints of hatch chile sauce.
Figured with everything else I raise, forage, hunt, fish, can and preserve, it will be enough to keep my meals interesting. :becky:

That's a tough question to answer. Back when I used to make chile verde or Noqkwivi (Hopi lamb, hominy and green chile stew) every week I would go through 50# in 6 months. You can almost never have too much and if you do a big pot of chile verde on a cold day will use up vast quantities quick.

I put enough chiles away to have them every other week for one year. (8 per bag, per meal)
Also canned several pints of hatch chile sauce.
Figured with everything else I raise, forage, hunt, fish, can and preserve, it will be enough to keep my meals interesting. :becky:
Speaking of degenerate Hatch Farkettes and Farkers! You and Adams are the main reason I had to 'splain carrying that case into the house tonight! Too much yumminess in y'alls' Hatch threads, I say! :becky:

Speaking of degenerate Hatch Farkettes and Farkers! You and Adams are the main reason I had to 'splain carrying that case into the house tonight! Too much yumminess in y'alls' Hatch threads, I say! :becky:

:laugh: I don't think you'll regret it Chris. Thanks! :becky:

You're officially an addict now. :heh:

For me, a box which has always averaged about 28lbs, after roasting and peeling yields about 10lbs roughly. I usually run out around the beginning of the season the next year. Not the only one eating them either as I usually will take out a bag and it goes a long way even when you have a crowd.

pna0HQOl.jpg

Separated them by size XL, L, M

zOvff6kl.jpg

j3QQZLLl.jpg

Yes, I'm addicted. :becky:

0dj9OOBl.jpg

It's called marketing and it works, kind of like certified Angus beef it's all hype.
Don't get me wrong I love Hatch chiles but the best I ever had came from north of Salt Lake and some from Colorado were a close second.

Back