Greek Lamb Souvlaki - Throwdown

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well it was my suggestion for a TD topic so I guess I should enter. Went with a Greek style Lamb Souvlaki for this entry. My brand spankin new Weber MasterTouch got the call for this. Great first cook I would say.

Start with Lamb, red onion, garlic, EVOO, oregano, lemon juice, thyme, paprika and pepper.

Rough chop the onions and mix with wet ingredients,

Cube the Lamb,

Then into a ziploc and into the fridge to marinate overnight..

After a couple of turns and 12 hours in the mix,

And skewered,

Now to make Tzatziki. Can't have Souvlaki without it.

EVOO and grated garlic in a blender.

Grated cucumber seasoned with salt and pepper then squeezed in a paper towel to remove excess water,

Then mixed all together with Greek yogurt and dill, and then in the fridge to let the flavor marry.

Prepare the pita by brushing with EVOO and sprinkled with oregano.

Now on the Weber...

After about 15 min turning frequently.

Pita on the grill

And assembled

And a bite pic

Turned out fantastic. The overnight marinate imparted tons of flavor. The new Weber worked out great. Tzatziki, cucumber and tomato added the perfect freshness.

The wife and I each downed two in quick succession.

Will definitely do this again.

Oh, that's one of my favorites... and you nailed it!

Where'd you find the big-arse skewers?

That reminds me of the "gyros" we got from street vendors in Germany. They were great. Yours looks even better.

There's a new Middle-Eastern market here, now I know what I want to use their fresh pita for.

The recipe I used also had a link to a recipe for homemade pita. Looked pretty simple and would have been a chance to use a cast iron griddle on the Weber but didn't have the time yesterday. Maybe next time.

Last edited:
Only 542 miles up the road, my favorite all time world series was 1968 Cards & Tigers, and I don't get a call for dinner?

I'm bumping this excellent thread to ask about lamb leg vs lamb shoulder on this. I'm making this dish for a party.

STLSportster used a leg - less connective tissue than a shoulder. Not sure if that means a leg works better here.

I'd love any thoughts on this.

I'm bumping this excellent thread to ask about lamb leg vs lamb shoulder on this. I'm making this dish for a party.

STLSportster used a leg - less connective tissue than a shoulder. Not sure if that means a leg works better here.

I'd love any thoughts on this.

Can't speak for a lamb shoulder, as I've neither cooked one or even seen one for sale, but I've used boneless legs many times, both for kabob meat like STL did, and cooking them whole. The last one I did was on the rotisserie, and came out great:

DSC_0763_zpsofxae43b.jpg

Lamb%20Final_zpsericw38a.jpg

Back