smoking fresh sausage

bstomper

Full Fledged Farker
I am going to make some fresh moose and deer sausage soon and would like to smoke it. Not smoked as in smoke/cook it, but a smoke flavor where it has to be cooked (fryed, bbq, in the oven) after. In the past I just used liquid smoke for the smoke flavor but since I built my uds the liquid smoke just aint gonna cut it. I am looking for some guidence as to how to do this as in temps and times. Would it be a cold smoke or a hot smoke. Anyone have any experience with doing this. I have did a search on the net but can't realy find any good info on the subject.

What a great site, thanks! I just killed a couple hours reading about sausage.

The important issue is that if you cold smoke for flavor a cure should be used to prevent botulism. The humidity, the warmth of the smoker, and the lack of Oxygen due to smoke creates a perfect environment for spores to grow. It can takes weeks after ingestion before the spore incubate and make you severely ill.

Follow all safety on proper food handling techniques to prevent food-borne illnesses.

There are many great books and guides on sausage making. I am sure almost everyone who posts may have a few recomendations for books on sausage making. These are by far the best books for basic and advanced sausage making.

They start with the basics and move forward to help you master the craft of sausage making. Contains true recipes before the use of chemical enhancers/additives, and fillers were added to stretch the amount of production.

Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing (4th Edition) by Rytek Kutas (Hardcover)

This Book is a guide to learn traditional methods of sausage-making, meat curing, and food preservation. This book which encompasses everything that the food enthusiast will want from a home reference book for proper sausage making. Not written by a food author, nor is it a collection of basic information already available on the web. It’s a book, a meat curing reference manual, a sausage making guide, and a very educational textbook written by a reknowned sausage maker. Featuring Sections on Making Fresh Sausages, Curing & Smoking Venison as well as Other Game Meats, Making Dry Cured Sausages, and Smoking and Preserving Fish and Meat. There is also a DVD with the same title is available seperatly, but although the DVD covers less than the basic ideas, I feel it is more of a suggestive sales DVD than educational.

Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages By Stanley and Adam Marianski (Paperback)

A comprehensive one-volume reference on the manufacture of meats and sausages at home. This book incorporates two books ("Meat Smoking And Smokehouse Design" and "Polish Sausages: Authentic Recipes and Instructions") into one book with additional information on brining, curing, and smoking. Contains information and theory as it applies to smoking meats, making sausage, and some recipes that will get one started. While recipes usually get the spotlight, it is the authors' opinion that the technical know-how behind preparing meats and sausages is far more important. There is a section with some basic recipes, but after reading the book one should be able to create their own recipes without much effort. The book explains differences between grilling, barbecuing and smoking. The sections on smokehouse design include over 200 construction diagrams and photos that cover most known methods: masonry, portable, wood, concrete, and drum smokers. After reading this book a reader will fully comprehend what can be expected of any particular smoker and how to build one that will conform to his individual needs. The book will benefit the serious smoker, sausage maker, as well as the beginner.

Don't cold smoke it unless you have TenderQuik or Prague (pink) salt in it.

Yeah I know about that part already, but thanks for the heads up. I will be using prague powder #1. From all the research I have done on cures, tenderquick is not good for smoking because it is mostly salt and contains very little nitrates, which is actualy the cure. To get the right amount of nitrates with tenderquick you would have to use way to much and the sausage would be too salty. Not my theory or experience, just what I have found on the net. I have used it extensivly with all the sausage that I have made but I have never smoked any, I would just use liquid smoke. But since I have had my uds, the liquid smoke aint gonna cut it any more

I just came across a write up where a guy used his WSM for smoking fresh sausage. So if I wanted to use my uds for smoking would a water pan help keep the temperature down in the 160 ish range. What if I filled the water pan with ice? I know I can smoke at 200* all day but acording to the stuff I have been finding, I need to smoke the fresh sausage to a max of 165* smoker temp and to a IT of 152* I'm going to light the uds tomorrow for a test run with a water pan to see if it is possible. Might work with the cooler temps outside now.

Back