Well Fark!

Throw it in a preheated deep fryer. That'll tell you for sure if it's still frozen or not. If you can see the flames from space it's probably frozen.

I'm with the group who says if it's been kept at or below fridge temperature, cook it for your meal on Thanksgiving and quit worrying.

My 2 cents.
Mike

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to food safety but it's always in the back of my mind that we as a species would not have come this far if we couldn't tolerate a little contamination. Salmonella bacteria will be killed if cooked properly and it's not a toxin-producing bacteria. Bacteria found in dirt, such as B.Cerius, produce toxins if allowed to grow and multiply enough and heat will not make it safe. It's most likely to be contaminated with toxin-producing bacteria if you put dirty celery or onions in the stuffing. If it were me I'd cook it ASAP and go from there.

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to food safety but it's always in the back of my mind that we as a species would not have come this far if we couldn't tolerate a little contamination. Salmonella bacteria will be killed if cooked properly and it's not a toxin-producing bacteria. Bacteria found in dirt, such as B.Cerius, produce toxins if allowed to grow and multiply enough and heat will not make it safe. It's most likely to be contaminated with toxin-producing bacteria if you put dirty celery or onions in the stuffing. If it were me I'd cook it ASAP and go from there.
Mother Nature is a bitch. She is done with you as soon as you breed. Before modern sanitation, 30 years was a good lifespan. Doctors never washed their hands, spices were use to cover the taste of rotten meat, and sewage ran down the streets.

You are likely just fine if you are holding below 40°F, that being said, I would cook it up, get another turkey for the actual day, store the leftover (entire free turkey) as slices for another day. Free eats are always good.

You are likely just fine if you are holding below 40°F, that being said, I would cook it up, get another turkey for the actual day, store the leftover (entire free turkey) as slices for another day. Free eats are always good.

Would you mind checking with your BIL on this? I'd sure like his input.

As of now it's still in the fridge. Will open it tomorrow night when it's time to inject and see how it smells. If ok, I'm going with it. Also found out it was a fresh turkey and never frozen. It was not very cold when I got it but at 37* now.

OOooohhhh.... everything I read on fresh never froze stated to use it or freeze it in 2 days. Here's a little more reading I found. Good luck Toast.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Poultry/TurkeyBasics.htm

Normaly true, however :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakel
No sell by /freeze by dating on package? Or did I miss that.

BAM! Did not think to look! Thanks!

Just looked. It says sell by 11/28/2014. Question now is when was it bought?

If kept at 38f either at home or store that date would be valid.....yes?

"Store turkeys in the coldest part of your refrigerator at 40 degrees F. or below. A locally raised fresh turkey will last only 1 to 2 days refrigerated. Commercially raised fresh turkey in their unopened packaging may last longer and should be marked with a Use By date."

Dayum, should have kept it and cooked it for the TD. Nobody's gonna taste it. It would most likely have some psychedelic bark and the whole brethren voting populace would vote for it!

Maybe :wink:

Dayum, should have kept it and cooked it for the TD. Nobody's gonna taste it. It would most likely have some psychedelic bark and the whole brethren voting populace would vote for it!

Maybe :wink:

It was temping but just too much risk. I was going to PM landarc to see if he wanted me to send it to his BIL but other innocents may have been hurt.

Back