What wood you use on turkey?

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
For the first time I can remember all my kids are going to their In- laws for Thanksgiving, they are all newlyweds, and we got them last year. They have decided to an every other year thing for the holidays, so this leaves just my wife and I, well sorta.

I have decided we will have a smoked turkey for the first time on Thanksgiving this year. All the kids are coming around, but not for a big sit down dinner since they are having dinner later with the In-laws, but will be around the next day, and will be snacking.

I thought some cold smoked turkey with some other things like deviled eggs, cheese, maybe some pig candy, I don't know what all just started the planning stages, finger food type things.

This will be done on my recently refurbished vertical bandera that has 13x13 grates I think, this may not be the correct dimensions, but I am not going out in the snow slop just now to check the size. I think I will do about a 10 to 12 lb turkey, I think that should fit ok.

Sorry for taking so long to get to my actual question, but I usually use hickory and oak, now thinking I would like to try some cherry or apple, maybe a combination.

Soooooo what is your favorite wood for turkey. One last thing I may just do it the day before so I can be a little more relaxed and not have to worry about having everything hot, as it will be served cold, with people coming in at various times of the day.

If you have any finger food type sides, please feel free to share. I will be out all day tomorrow, so thanks in advance.
Dave

I used apple last year, going to try cherry this year. Apple was tasty, just gonna try and get some more color on it.

A mix of apple and cherry would be my vote. Slightly heavier on the apple, since cherry is richer, and birds soak up smoke like a sponge and you don't want to over do it.

Try to get clean, steady blue smoke throughout the cook, rather than a heavy billowing smoke.

Cherry is what I use. From today, look at the color on the skin, due to the cherry smoke.
spachedturkey_zps7996e11e.jpg

I use cherry and apple, with cherry getting more use lately. Also if available, try pecan as it is a different flavor profile, but very good in my opinion. I would use pecan if I could get some locally, but have no source available. Any light flavored wood will work, as turkey absorbs smoke as easy or easier than a yard bird. Good luck with whatever you decide on!

Blessings,

Omar

Cherry is what I use. From today, look at the color on the skin, due to the cherry smoke.
spachedturkey_zps7996e11e.jpg

That looks very good. I may cut the bird in half if I can't find one to fit my smoker without it touching the sides.
Dave

If I was to choose, Probably apple. However I have some free pecan on hand so that is the wood of choice this year.

I recently tried alder on some chicken and liked it. I think im gonna give it a shot. A local bbq joint even claims it's their primary wood.

I would imagine that it would take longer that way. It could pick up more smoke but on the outside only.

Not sure I can agree with that, but don't know, because I have never done it, although I have seen many done that way.
Dave

For the practice bird I did on my WSM today, I did one fist sized lump of cherry. I might do my T-Day bird with just charcoal. There was a lot of smokeyness to the bird with that one lump.

Not sure I can agree with that, but don't know, because I have never done it, although I have seen many done that way.
Dave
It's based on a whole turkey taking longer to cook than a spatchcocked one, and the smoke having access to both sides of the bird when split.

If you're not locked into apple and/or cherry, I'm a huge proponent of birch with poultry. It produces a very light, sweet smoke that doesn't overpower the flavor of your rub and meat. (Try it. Just make sure to get the white bark off.)

i just use charcoal on my birds, too much smoke is easy to do on fowl.

Back