Sunday surf and turf

Ryan921

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I keep reading all of these threads about how a lot of guys can make a better steak at home than the high dollar joints for a fraction of the cost. Which (as this forum always does to me) put me directly in pursuit of a bad ass home cooked steak at a reasonable price. I have in the past always thought my steaks were good but not nearly up to par with the big shots.

Yesterday was different.

Each steak was 1 1/4" thick. I let them rest for a little over an hour with a liberal coating of kosher salt. rinsed and dried, then rubbed a thin coat of safflower oil and onto the kettle they went.

I made some garlic butter to really set off the flavor.

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

I honestly just can't picture a choice steak being much better than these, although I will indeed be trying:boxing:

That steak looks just about perfect!! A nice sear would put it over the top :thumb:

I really need to try the caveman steak. I love the idea, I've just been too much of a sissy to pull the trigger. I would hate to waste a good steak due to poor execution when I already know I can have what I want off the ol' trusty kettle!

I don't eat shell fish but every thing else looks great. Might need a little more sour cream on that potato.:grin:

Man that is perfect. You nailed it. I prefer steaks at 1 1/4" thick.

Nice looking steak. I agree with Peeps, at the end, throw that sucker on a 500* griddle to get a nice crust on the outside, and it would be perfect.

I spent the last few days looking for a restaurant that served a good steak. Couldn't find anything that looked half as good as yours. Yours looks perfect!! Well done Sir! :thumb:

Back