Sams club or Costco?

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a membership, which one should I get? Probably mostly used for food (meat). What store do you like better and why. The stores in Madison Heights are closest so a locals perspective of the individual locations would be helpful.

as much as I hate to say it probably Sams. I have a Costco but from what I understand Sams is somewhat better for meat.

If you want a RD membership I can get you a card. Save you the membership fee at the other 2 charge.

its a Michigan Custom 'Que benefit!!

Yeah it all depends on the region too for which stuff the clubs carry. For me Sams, Costco and RD all have things I prefer. None are perfect for my needs, but together they are a weird Voltron of BBQ supplies :-D

I have both. I usually shop at Sam's because it's closer, but Costco is one of the few places around the Atlanta, GA area that has tri-tip.

I have both. I usually shop at Sam's because it's closer, but Costco is one of the few places around the Atlanta, GA area that has tri-tip.

I have both as well. They both are a little different. Costco has a better wine selection and some meats Sam's doesn't carry. Sam's on the other hand has full packer briskets just about all of the time. I don't think you will go wrong either way.

at the Costcos near us (I am near Ninja) Costco has no bone in pork butts. Only boneless.. No briskets except $$ flats. their other meats are fine but as far as the BBQ meats we are after it pretty much sucks.

man I'd love a RD card. We have BJ's by us which i think is ok for meats, but I haven't compared them to others.

at the Costcos near us (I am near Ninja) Costco has no bone in pork butts. Only boneless.. No briskets except $$ flats. their other meats are fine but as far as the BBQ meats we are after it pretty much sucks.
Same here in Central Florida.

Actually, I should point out here that the executive membership at Costco is free. Yes, it costs $100, but you get an additional 2% discount on all your purchases. If at the end of a year, your rebate check doesn't add up to at least $100, they will pay you the difference. This is not advertised, but it is their policy. You can ask for it. At our Costco they will check your rebates and send you to the service desk if you're not getting your full membership back.

This!

I always go to my local butcher, we are best friends lol. Other than that, if I have to I prefer Sams.

as much as I hate to say it probably Sams. I have a Costco but from what I understand Sams is somewhat better for meat.

If you want a RD membership I can get you a card. Save you the membership fee at the other 2 charge.

its a Michigan Custom 'Que benefit!!

I think that I'll take you up on that.

I always go to my local butcher, we are best friends lol. Other than that, if I have to I prefer Sams.

I love supporting local small business, I just can't afford to do it all the time. Besides where else can I buy 164 oz bottle of ketsup

I've had a membership to both for several years and I'd have to give Costco the edge. I go to the Costco in South Austin and their meat bunkers are quite impressive when compared to the Sam's a couple of miles away. Nice whole packers, beef tenderloin, tri-tip, and some of the best prime ribs I've ever cooked.:wink:
I guess it probably is different in other regions though, Austin is growing at a ridiculously fast pace and there might be things available in that market that aren't somewhere else.:-D

RD is free with a KCBS membership so for $35 a year you are a "member" Around here Sams club is not as high quality as Costco and the prices go back and forth on which one is better.
According to the the KCBS website the membership includes a 1 day pass to RD. Any idea if that's changed? Thanks.

Nope, it has not changed. I used it last month.

EDIT: It is still a one day pass, but you can use that one day pass any time, as often as you like.

I have both. Sams for boston butts, packer briskets and chicken thighs; Costco for St. Louis cut ribs and chicken breasts. Plus there are some supplies for the house (brands I prefer) I can only get at one or the other.

If it's a sunny day and I feel like a nice drive, it's a roadie to RD in Birmingham or Nashville...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbooger View Post

smoke ninja~>
I love supporting local small business, I just can't afford to do it all the time. Besides where else can I buy 164 oz bottle of ketsup

....or a skid of toilet paper, for that matter......

Back