C'est Bon (Smoked Turtle soup)

Snapper soup is a Philly region staple, my dad used to catch snapping turtles and sell them to a local country club when he was a kid....I love that soup.....excellent thread on an underused protein! I'll take a dish of that please.

Love Turtle soup, that looks like you took it to a whole other level.

Have only had turtle soup once (at the Bon Ton Cafe in New Orleans) and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for this extremely interesting post.

Great pictures!

Looks very tasty, I want to try it one day.

Years ago , we were golfing, after we hit our tee shots a friend found a big snapper and put it on the tee box for the next group:)

Have only had turtle soup once (at the Bon Ton Cafe in New Orleans) and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for this extremely interesting post.

Great pictures!

The recipe that I have is from Mandina's New Orleans. Awesome place to eat if you are every down that way again. Hell, come get you a bowl of mine next time you are in town.

http://mandinasrestaurant.com/nola/main-menu/

Last edited:
As a stand alone meat, it has a very similar taste to veal.

Turtle Soup is one of my absolute favorites. I always order it if it is on ethe menu. It is a staple at Mandina's and Pascal's Manale here in NOLA. I made it from scratch once with store-bought turtle meat. It was a fair amount of work, but the end product was fantastic.

I have always heard that restaurants substitute veal when they can't get turtle meat. Some recipes even call it "Mock Turtle Soup".

I have never tried to catch/clean my own because I have heard it is very difficult.

Thanks for sharing,

David
Swine Spectator

Turtle Soup is one of my absolute favorites. I always order it if it is on ethe menu. It is a staple at Mandina's and Pascal's Manale here in NOLA. I made it from scratch once with store-bought turtle meat. It was a fair amount of work, but the end product was fantastic.

I have always heard that restaurants substitute veal when they can't get turtle meat. Some recipes even call it "Mock Turtle Soup".

I have never tried to catch/clean my own because I have heard it is very difficult.

Thanks for sharing,

David
Swine Spectator

I have never heard of substituting Veal, but I can tell you that I have been to Mandina's a many of times and they were sold out of turtle. I can buy it here at my local cajun grocery for about $21.00 a lb. I just prefer to catch my meat myself. We here on the bayou, were eating organic before it was cool. :)

Back