Finishing Ribs

Ironman77

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Evening all,

Question,

Ive been tying various different things recently with ribs which taste good but Im struggling to get that caramalised glossy look a lot of brethren seem to get??

I mop em with a sauce for the last 15 minutes but they always look dull/matt finish:sad:

Should I whack up the heat for the last 15??

Cheers

I do 30 minutes on the pit to set the sauce. On the ribs a bit of honey and butter help with the sheen.

Spritz em with a light mist of water to shine em up if you dont want em sweeter

When the ribs are at the correct doneness I take them off the smoker and wrap in foil. I then crank up the heat on direct and after 15 minutes of cooling I put brush one side with my sauce and place that side down on direct high heat to let it caramelize. then hen brush the other side flip and continue until you have a nice glaze and covering of your BBQ sauce.

I spritz the ribs with apple juice, gives a great glossy sheen to the meat, I serve sauce on the side as I offer several sauce choices to choose from.

Why would you want to cover up the beautiful bark with sauce, sauce looks so much better on the side.

Try a 50/50 blend of sauce and honey instead of just sauce.

:)

Or simply cut your favorite sauce with a little less honey (I like 1/4), but also add a nice shot of good bourbon. Finish the ribs off with another 15 minutes either over smoke or in the oven, foil open if you were using foil. Gives a nice glossy look, and gives the most incredible taste you've ever had.

Back