THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.

Hog1990

Full Fledged Farker
I am cooking for 700 teachers on the 6th of August. I am cooking pulled pork and smoked sausage. I have my sausage count figured, but I want to make sure I have enough pork without being grossly under or over...

I have ordered 5 cases of Butts. Each case has 4 two-packs and the average weight is 8.5-9 lbs. I am estimating bewtween 340-360 lbs. This should be enough considering the sausage as well, or is this overkill?

Your thoughts/help are/is appreciated!

With two meats figure 1/4 lb per serving cooked. That's 1/2 lb raw, so you need 350 lbs raw. Depending on how heavy the cases end up being. you in the ballpark, but maybe a little light.

I agree with Ron. You may want to cook a few more butts.

5 cases
8 butts/case
8.5 avg lb/butt
340 lb raw
50% loss in cook (170 lb)
170 lb cooked yield
2,720 oz cooked yield
4 oz serving size
680 yield of 4 oz servings

5.25 cases (42 butts) would yield 714 4 oz servings
5.37 cases (43 butts) would yield 731 4 oz servings
5.50 cases (44 butts) would yield 748 4 oz servings

If YOU are controlling the portion sizes then 42 butts might be enough.
If it is SELF SERVE I would suggest the 43 or 44 butts just to be safe.

We use a contract and have the customer make the decision on how much to order and offer "advice" if asked. This takes away the guess work on quantities.

unless you have a scale out, an extra ounce or 2 on a serving, can kill a line quick. I'd cook 6 cases of butts, and my guess is you'll be basically out when you're done. I usually leave myself wiggle room and cook a pound raw per guest. figure each person eats more along the lines of 6oz a person. Plus, so much ends up in the garbage, and there's no way to stop it.

Back