probing my butt.....

masque13

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
hey guys......looking for some advice here. i love doing this bbq thing and i think i'm getting better and better but i'm far from being a pro at it.

i don't come from a family of people that cooked this way so it's been a learning experience along the way.

with that said, here is my question.......when cooking a butt and you get ready to probe it to check the temps for pulling where do you guys probe at?

i know to avoid the bone and area around the bone.....but here is what i am wondering about;

sometimes when i probe the butt and I'm shooting for say 195 IT, i may probe it in 4 different spots ands get readings that range from 187 to 198......

so, when that happens i try to judge how buttery smooth the probe is going in and out and if it feels smooth then i pull it.

however, when you guys probe do you strictly rely on the temp from the meatiest part of the butt or do you probe in different spots and try to take an average or something? i don't want to overcomplicate things but i am very curious about this.

You don't need to do that just latch hold of the bone if it wiggles like a loose baby tooth it's done. I have never in 30+ yrs used a thermo on a bone in butt boneless I have cooked 2 when it probes like soft butter ( that hot monkeylove feeling) it's done. Some say that is 205 I don't have a clue I don't use a thermo for BBQ.

I did probe the last one I did because the bone was way to one side. I thought it would be best to see what the opposite end had to say. So I stuck it with the blunt end of a wooden skewer and then the bone side, they felt the same and the bone wiggled. I have no idea about a temp either. It was just right for me.

You don't need to do that just latch hold of the bone if it wiggles like a loose baby tooth it's done. I have never in 30+ yrs used a thermo on a bone in butt boneless I have cooked 2 when it probes like soft butter ( that hot monkeylove feeling) it's done.

^ ^ ^ ^ This..

Butt probe....

I'll put the probe in the thickest part away from the bone and look for 198-201 and then wrap for awhile, always comes out good..Good to see Ky represented in this forum, I'm originally from Paducah :clap2:

I don't use a thermometer on butts either. Bone wiggle, probes tender I pull it.

I'll put the probe in the thickest part away from the bone and look for 198-201 and then wrap for awhile, always comes out good..Good to see Ky represented in this forum, I'm originally from Paducah :clap2:

excellent! nothing wrong with "gettin lucky in KY"!!!!!!!

Back