Smoked Wild hog shoulder w/pics

Mrtodd777

Full Fledged Farker
I wanted to get one more cook in after this past weekends harvest before everything else gets put in the deep freeze. I decided to smoke a front shoulder from a young sow we bagged this weekend. Oakridge venison and wild game seasoning along with extra cracked pepper and kosher salt got things started. Got my fire going and she ran at about 300 throughout the cook. Wrapped at 165 and pulled at 190. Peach wood got the call this time.

Bone pulled clean just like a regular shoulder.

It wasn't quite pull tender but sliced beautifully.

I was tired, a little tipsy, and it was late so it was served simple with chips and hot sauce.

Tonight we are making tacos with what's left. . Plates will look much better.
Thanks for looking.

Yum! Forgive my ignorance, but how does a wild sow taste compared to something you'd get at the store? I've never had wild hog, but that sure looks good!

there is nothing at all wrong with that, it looks great. As for the taste, to me and most people I have talked to that have eaten wild hog we all agree that it has a little stronger pork flavor. Its not a gamy taste but that is a possibility if the meat is not handled properly.

Yum! Forgive my ignorance, but how does a wild sow taste compared to something you'd get at the store? I've never had wild hog, but that sure looks good!

Young wild hogs are equally as tasty, if not more in my opinion as there store bought, farm raised brothers. There is no gamey taste whatsoever as long as you are eating young, healthy animals. Their is also a slightly sweet, almost nutty flavor to the meat as well. Giant, wild boars and such aren't as good to eat. They tend to get tough and really gamey. I never harvest a wild pig that is over 75 lbs if I am planning on consuming it.. I also never harvest boars if I can help it. Sows have a lighter coloring to their meat that resembles a domestic pork loin.

This was the tenderloin from the same animal. The meat is almost identical to domestic loin.

Young wild hogs are equally as tasty, if not more in my opinion as there store bought, farm raised brothers. There is no gamey taste whatsoever as long as you are eating young, healthy animals. Their is also a slightly sweet, almost nutty flavor to the meat as well. Giant, wild boars and such aren't as good to eat. They tend to get tough and really gamey. I never harvest a wild pig that is over 75 lbs if I am planning on consuming it.. I also never harvest boars if I can help it. Sows have a lighter coloring to their meat that resembles a domestic pork loin.

Mrtodd77 is right, smaller & younger generally better with one caveat, if while hunting a wild hog you run it hard (i.e., with dogs) they pump a lot of adrenaline and can taste like chit. Conversely a lot of folks 'round here trap young hogs, castrate the males and either keep them penned or turn them out to be hunted later; they can be quite good even if they get pretty big. One thing a lot of folks don't pay attention to is the simple fact that wild pigs are MUCH more lean thand domestic raised & fed so you gotta plan your cook accordingly.

You Guys are doing it right! We have more wild hog around here than we can kill. The young ones are tasty. There are some good tricks to hunt them without stressing them. Corn bait with partial fence for the heard etc.

The wild pig in Hawaii seem to have less fat than the pig in the pic. Looks good though and it definitely has a gamier even oilier taste in my opinion at least in Hawaii.

God bless Texas! That's one of the most ultimate grub downs. Great hunt. Great reward!

Back