Exhaust placement, about to start a build

COS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm about to start my build of my vertical offset. I'm modeling it after blazinfire's build. One thing I'm thinking is changing the placement of the exhaust. I'm thinking of off the the side opposite of the firebox, like the LSG. What the advantage and disadvantage of being in the center instead or off to the side?

I'm about to start my build of my vertical offset. I'm modeling it after blazinfire's build. One thing I'm thinking is changing the placement of the exhaust. I'm thinking of off the the side opposite of the firebox, like the LSG. What the advantage and disadvantage of being in the center instead or off to the side?

I'm not sure exactly what the reason of why LSG puts theirs on the side opposite of the firebox. it was a tough decision to place mine directly in the center. LSG has two 5 inch exhausts if I remember correctly.

If I'm cooking anything on the top rack, especially big items like a panned turkey I have a feeling having the exhaust in the middle is a bad thing. No matter where the turkey was placed it was right under the exhaust. Maybe this is the reason why LSG places their exhausts on the side.

Are you building tuning plates? I would suggest doing so, unless the baffle is built correctly. I could of done a better job at giving my builder a better design for the baffle.

OH YEAH!! Another flaw in my smoker design was the tires. 10" caster tires worked fine! But you had to manually turn the swivel wheels before moving it in the direction you wanted to go. Because Letting the swivel casters work on their own it will bend the wheels. My swivel caster wheels are now bent, I'm looking at options of adding the smoker to a trailer. Maybe not for the road, but I can at least hook it up to a 4wheeler and move it around.

Thanks, I'm not too worried about tuning plates. I might tack on a couple pieces of angle just in case I need them. My opening into the main chamber is going to be bigger, hopefully so the air doesn't rush through.

Thanks, I'm not too worried about tuning plates. I might tack on a couple pieces of angle just in case I need them. My opening into the main chamber is going to be bigger, hopefully so the air doesn't rush through.

Might be onto something. I think my issues are just the learning curve of the smoker. The past couple cooks has been pretty solid. I haven't cooked on it for a little while I'm due for a cook soon it seems!

If you didn't know I did modify the baffle a little bit. Seemed to help a lot. Just added a piece of metal to point the air flow down more. My temp differences from side to side now are no more than 10-20 degrees.Better than the 50-100 degree difference I had before.

Make sure to build your grate slides to where you can pull them out and it holds its self up! I have yet done this and its such a pain in the arse to deal with but I've been to lazy to get this addition built. If I'm to do changes on its transportation I'll fix that as well.

I just thought it would be nice to pass on the few things I have nitpicked about since building the smoker. This way you can improve on what I have.

I would like to see other people's opinions on the reasons LSG puts their exhaust on the side, and why they have double exhaust. I have one 6" exhaust and its plenty for the cooker.

I'm still currently building my vertical offset with a 5" square tube about 14" tall...seems like a lot but that's what felons calc said.

I don't have jnsitw why they offset their exhaust and in a couple of days hopefully j can tell you how its gonna work out....I'm almost done with her.

Might be onto something. I think my issues are just the learning curve of the smoker. The past couple cooks has been pretty solid. I haven't cooked on it for a little while I'm due for a cook soon it seems!

If you didn't know I did modify the baffle a little bit. Seemed to help a lot. Just added a piece of metal to point the air flow down more. My temp differences from side to side now are no more than 10-20 degrees.Better than the 50-100 degree difference I had before.

Make sure to build your grate slides to where you can pull them out and it holds its self up! I have yet done this and its such a pain in the arse to deal with but I've been to lazy to get this addition built. If I'm to do changes on its transportation I'll fix that as well.

I just thought it would be nice to pass on the few things I have nitpicked about since building the smoker. This way you can improve on what I have.

I would like to see other people's opinions on the reasons LSG puts their exhaust on the side, and why they have double exhaust. I have one 6" exhaust and its plenty for the cooker.

No problem. My exhaust will be the same size, maybe a little longer about 9".

I'm still currently building my vertical offset with a 5" square tube about 14" tall...seems like a lot but that's what felons calc said.

I don't have jnsitw why they offset their exhaust and in a couple of days hopefully j can tell you how its gonna work out....I'm almost done with her.

I briefly looked at your build. I think yours is a little bigger than mine. My exhaust will be 6" and about 9" tall as per feldons.

An exh off to the side won't have moisture dripping down on top of the food. But that also creates a different flow being on the side vs centered. If your exhaust stack it to tall, the smoke/vapor will cool to much before leaving the stack. You will end up with a lot of dripping back into the cooker. Just my experience.

Call up Chris at LSG and ask him. He is a super guy and I am sure he will be glad to talk to to you.

I have the LSG vertical offset. I do not know whether it is the location of the two 5" stacks or not but the cooker has amazing airflow. Have also cooked chickens hot and fast on the top rack immediately under the two stacks and they have done very well.

Call up Chris at LSG and ask him. He is a super guy and I am sure he will be glad to talk to to you.

I have the LSG vertical offset. I do not know whether it is the location of the two 5" stacks or not but the cooker has amazing airflow. Have also cooked chickens hot and fast on the top rack immediately under the two stacks and they have done very well.

Just curious how tall is your exhaust?

As of now I'm really leaning to putting it of to the side.

Just curious how tall is your exhaust?

As of now I'm really leaning to putting it of to the side.

I could be wrong, but I think they are 5" tall on the LSG cookers. That's the measurements I received from people who own LSG vertical offset.

Can't wait to see your build! It's going to be awesome. My cooker smokes like any other smoker out there!

I could be wrong, but I think they are 5" tall on the LSG cookers. That's the measurements I received from people who own LSG vertical offset.

Can't wait to see your build! It's going to be awesome. My cooker smokes like any other smoker out there!

Hopefully it all turns out at least half as good as yours did. I am using slightly thinner metal for the main chamber, it's all I could get, about 1/8" or 3.2mm.

That 5" tall measurement is correct.

Back