Finally taking the plunge into the world of all wood BBQ

dsp2

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi, all. After deliberating for probably 1000 hours, I've finally decided to enter the world of all wood BBQ. I've been debating this for a while but told myself I'd (arbitrarily) want to get something by this summer. I'm a few days late.

I've been BBQ'ing for about 20 years. I have a lot of different kinds of grills and smokers. Have several Smokey Joe's, a Jumbo Joe, a 22 inch kettle. A Weber Gas Go Anywhere I never use. A Small BGE (I gave away a small and mini BGE many years ago when moving...this is the replacement). A Portable Kitchen, an electric smoker, an Orion. And an 18 inch WSM that is my workhorse of late.

All that said, last year when I started reading about central texas q before a trip to austin, I started reading a lot about all wood q on offset pits and have been debating ever since.

I haven't actually clicked through but I'm planning to get the Old Country Wrangler from Academy shipped. I debated the Pecos, and I know Smitty likes that bigger size better. I actually want something smaller, and I figure the slightly smaller footprint will make my wife happy and the slightly thicker metal may make me happy. Thought about the O/U, but thinking I'll start with a traditional offset first. Thought a lot about the Yoder Cheyenne or Meadow Creek SQ 36, but those are closer to $1k plus $300 shipping to me. With the Wrangler, it's $499 plus a $29 cover and $80 to ship.

I also debated getting a 22 or 14 inch WSM as a safer addition. But after thinking of it, I really don't NEED anything new. This is a hobby, and that sort of justifies some level or irrational thinking. Plus this is something truly new - offset all wood fires.

Sharing with you all since I've learned so much from you all, and I know some of you like reading about people like me obsessing over things like this :)

I am thinking I may buy a small BBQ cart from Amazon now and then get some wood. I have looked on Craigslist. Will likely order the Wrangler tonight after work then order some wood. Would be amazing if I got this in time for July 4 weekend, though not sure if that's in the cards at this point.

Thank you for listening, thank you for all you've taught me so far, thank you for all you'll teach me in the future, and God Bless America!
dsp2

tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif

I hear ya, I can't stop thinking about traditional offsets since reading Aaron Frankilin's book. Have fun with yours!

I hear ya, I can't stop thinking about traditional offsets since reading Aaron Frankilin's book. Have fun with yours!

Here is a great line from this great (IMO) article on choosing your first "Serious" smoker. The line is about traditional offsets vs. reverse flow. I think the whole article is worth a read, too.

"There are two schools of thought when it comes to temperature variation in a smoker. Either variation is good or it is bad."

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2014/...s-smoker-by-donna-fong-butchers-daughter-bbq/

Same thing here. After reading Franklin's book cover to cover, I had to start cooking with wood. I then ordered my LSG vertical offset.

Still use both my large and mini BGE cookers. Love them for grilling and some hot and fast chicken, etc. (my offset firebox is insulated so no ability to grill on it).

There is a learning curve when using a stick burner but that is what makes it fun for me. For that matter, all cooker have learning curves.

Same thing here. After reading Franklin's book cover to cover, I had to start cooking with wood. I then ordered my LSG vertical offset.

Still use both my large and mini BGE cookers. Love them for grilling and some hot and fast chicken, etc. (my offset firebox is insulated so no ability to grill on it).

There is a learning curve when using a stick burner but that is what makes it fun for me. For that matter, all cooker have learning curves.

Do you find the taste noticeably different? There is a line Adam Carolla uses about what is his favorite drink. He says he thinks of them like his children. He loves them all, just in different ways. I agree with him about the drinks and think it fits well with cookers, too!

I know exactly where you're at. After mastering kettles with and without inserts, drums, and other charcoal+wood chunk cookers, I was jonesin' for a stick burner too. A fellow Brethren gave me a heavy-duty vert/horz combination offset a month or two ago, and I finally got to fire it up for the first time on Father's Day. It was such a blast; not just the taste of good wood-fired Q, but the process itself was a hoot! There's a thread on it a page or two back if you're interested.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after a cook or two. Have fun!

The Old Country Wrangler is a fine cooker, I have one. It is not very big but I cooked four spatchcock chickens at one time on it.

Jack

The only difference with the Over Under is it's a RF and is dummy proof with no hot spots to tame unlike it's cousins, with more rack space

Great cooker for a pleasant day with not much to do , listening to music & drinking a beverage of choice. No better way to spend a day.
You've still got your WSM as good a "Set - It - and Forget it " smoker there is.

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like there are many kindred spirits on here!

Anyone know if this place is any good, or have any thoughts on the prices? It's $150 for half of a cord of wood. I am also starting to poke around craigslist

http://www.northjerseyfirewood.com/

I have used a gasser and a WSM. They both did a good job. I have had an offset stick burner for the last 1-1/2 years and there is no turning back. The fun of playing with the fire, the thrill of learning good heat and fire management, and especially the wood flavor that is the very best.

Good luck with your new Wrangler. I think it is a great smoker in its price range. Joe

I'm curious about how this works out for you since you are in a similar location. I've been Qing for about 3 years now and have only had charcoal cookers. I'd love to see what it's like with a nice stick burner. Good luck with the quest!

Oh Ya. ! :clap2: and Half Cord for $150 not Bad.

Thanks! You and Blu are two huge reasons I went with Old Country. And I know - he has the O/U, you have the vertical, and you like the Pecos size better. All in all, though, I actually wanted the smaller footprint. And I wanted to try the traditional offset (realizing there would be temp variation) as my intro to offset world. I actually kind of like the idea of hotspots I can use to my advantage. We shall see.

Still looking into wood. I see someone pretty local I've contacted. Former military, and it's good to support the Vets. If that doesn't work, I may just start with that half cord for $150 (then duck from the shoe my wife will throw at me....)

Congrats! Look forward to seeing what you produce with it.

Worst case, at least you are getting a small / inexpensive stick burner to try out. Not like you are jumping into a $4K unit and then finding out that stick burning really isn't for you. I know some yoyo that did just that. Loser. :mrgreen:

I just made the switch this year myself. Between doing 15 racks of ribs for my wife's birthday to a couple competitions now, I can tell you, wood is cheaper. A lot cheaper if you were using Royal Oak or another lump charcoal. We went thru 10 bags of charcoal just for one competition. For the same money I bought a little less then half a cord of cherry wood and cooked the above mentioned plus all my other weekend cooks and still have a few weeks of cooks left.

I bought mine here. Expensive as f$%k, but it was the only place I could get my hands on cherry before my wife's bday. They hooked it up in person, I got probably close to double what they say they give you, so it softened the blow a little bit, but it was still expensive (still cheaper than charcoal).
http://www.jerseyfirewood.com/

Thinking about grabbing some from these guys next. I talked to them on Facebook and they told me their wood is 90% oak.
http://www.giamaresefarm.com/firewood.html

Back