Brisket Question 2!

BamaQue

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I want to thank everybody for their help with my brisket cook last weekend. Here are some of the highlights and low-lights and some questions....Just did a kosher salt/coarse pepper rub as suggested (thin slather of mustard to help it stick). Did not inject though was tempted because the flat on this Choice brisket had NO marbling that I could see when I trimmed it. Left a good 1/4" fat on the cap. Cooked with pecan splits (Lang smoker) at an average temp of 275 or so.
Have to say the smells coming from that smoker were divine! So, anyway, I smoked it for about 7 hours before it had the look and bark I was looking for (looked amazing). Did not check the temp at that time (first question...Should I have checked temp at that time?). Wrapped it in butcher paper and smoked for another two hours. At that time I checked the temp in several parts of the flat and it registered anywhere from 200-208 and the probe went in like buttah, so I pulled it, wrapped it in a couple beach towels, and into the cooler it went. Since my son was working and was really looking forward to the brisket I decided to let it sit in there undisturbed for 4 hours until he arrived home.
So I go to slice it and....OK, I digress a bit. Unbelievably, a meteorite crashed through my roof at that very moment! Well, my family ended up eating the meteorite because it was more tender than the brisket (cut against the grain those meteorites are, er....heavenly)!! Anyway, that brisket was waaay over-done! The bark was rock hard the the flat pretty much crumbled....Uggghhh!!
So my questions/observations. I read on here after the fact that most of you open up the wrap for a period of time after taking the brisket off the cooker. How long? I'm guessing that my failure to do so didn't help my cause. Is it possible my brisket could have cooked that much more in the cooler? What are your usual post-cook methods for resting?
My initial response to this experience was to purchase a "I hate cows" t-shirt and swear to never smoke brisket again. But then I've slowly been getting of the mat....Planning to watch the Rocky series today :boxing:. Going to increase my own workouts to twice a day, get more sleep, take more vitamins. It's war! Me against the brisket! As a friend of mine said, "Brisket has no soul". He's correct! So far, brisket 1, BamaQue 0. I have to even the score!
Whew...Sorry so long-winded. Any help and/or suggestions will be much appreciated. Until then I will be outside smoking some PORK!!

I am still waiting for stores around me to sell just Points. And i mean points that are not cured.

I dont even like the flat on a smoked brisket.

That is exactly what happened to me the first time I wrapped it and stashed it after the cook.

Yes, you have to let it come down in temp some. Letting it sit on the counter uncovered for about 30 minutes should do the trick. Wrapping it in foil right away then in towels then into the Igloo just has it cooking away for several more hours.

So, it sounds like you had everything right up until that point. Just do it again, but let it rest first prior to re-wrapping and stashing.

My average cook at 275°F runs about 8 hours. I suspect your overcooked it on the pit, the hold didn't help.

However, to your question, if I wrap, I will vent the brisket for 15 minutes, what I look for is a temperature drop. Once the temperature drops (lets say, from 205°F to 195°F), I will wrap and cooler. In my experience, once the temperature drops, it won't keep cooking.

I tend to probe just before wrapping, and will occasionally poke, through the wrapping, to verify feel. When I cook unwrapped, I just put on some gloves and squeeze to see how soft it feels.

I read it was 12# before trimming.
Probably down to 10# after.
9 hours at average temp of 275F are too much IMO.
May I suggest you for next cook to use a grate thermo like a maverik. ?
to this situation you added carry over effect that is much powerful at 275F than at lower T.
It could have increased your internal temp up to 15F in the point wich is thicker than the flat.

Like blu said....resting and holding are 2 different things. Rest at least 15 minutes or until the temp drops then hold. Holding immediately is a good trick for those that like to get impatient and pull too early.

I like to let mine sit on the counter and the internal temp drop to 150 before I put in the cooler to hold for how ever long.

So THAT'S what I did wrong last time!!!

Been hearing about venting for 15 mins or so before re-wrapping and holding in cooler.

Can't wait to try another soon.

I am still waiting for stores around me to sell just Points. And i mean points that are not cured.

I dont even like the flat on a smoked brisket.

If you have a WINCO grocery store near you the sell points , and flats sepratly ..At least here in Phoenix they do ..I sometimes just buy a point when Im Cooking just for me .

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments to this point. I think I definitely over-cooked it in the pit, as suggested, then failed to vent it prior to putting it in the cooler. I very much appreciate all your comments!

BamaQue,

I would check both of your thermometers just to be sure. You may have been cooking hotter than you think and the IT could have been more. Get a pot of boiling water and see if your probes read 212* (you may know or already did this).

I think a grill probe/thermo is a good idea, like a maverick. Also, keeping a probe in the brisket and start checking for doneness at around 190* or so. I set my Maverick to go off at 190* and do a probe test. While I find that most of my briskets are done to my liking around 203* I have had some that are done at 197* and some at 207*. I suspect yours was done about 30-45 minutes before you took it off.

Would have been good to check when you wrapped. That way you could have had an idea of who much longer to to. But employing the use of a leave-in thermometer takes timing variable out of of it. You can cook unwrapped as long as you want and then wrap and never worry about overcooking.

Also, if you take it to exact doneness on the pit then yes, it is a good idea to vent for 15 or so. I suspect you had a brisket that was ready to be pulled somewhere in the upper 190*s and it went too long then went straight into the cooler which added insult to injury.

One more thought about it being meteorite like. Your pit may have been a bit hot and you couldda wrapped it sooner.

Sorry to be long winded. I'm just passionate about brisket and want everyone to experience a good brisket smoke!!

So... Does it matter if you rest or hold first?

It gets confusing...
Cook, vent, rest, hold. Some don't hold. Some only hold if they need to keep it warm after it goes down to a certain IT. I like a short rest and a long hold. Practice and see what works best for you.

And resting is the important bit? I think I haven't really rested my briskets, just vented and then held. But then again the temps have dropped during the hold, so that would essentially serve as a rest also...?

Have to test this sooner than later.

My question was mainly about a situation where I cook, chill and reheat later on. I think it would be best to rest just before slicing...

My experience with that size Brisket.

275 degrees
Fat cap down
Wrap after 4 hours and fat cap up
Probe thickest part of flat after 6 hours (usually finished in 6-7 hours)
Rest 30 minutes tented or uncovered depending on fly issues
Trim/cut/slice/chop easily from S-F within 8, usually 7.5
YMMV

Historically based on experience using Thermapen after 4 hours I am within a few degrees of 165 at wrapping point. When probe tender Thermapen reads within a few degrees of 205.

Each one of my points can be debated cussed and discussed. Lots of ways to get to the finish line. Stay after it and you will find what works for you. At least you're not learning on $5# Selects in the not to distant past.

How long can you hold a brisket in cooler and it still be hot?

Depends on many factors, like the size of the cooler, amount of insulation and if there's other meat in there.

If you just want to hold one brisket, use the smallest cooler you can fit it in and wrap a blanker around it. Should be good for really long time, 6 hours easily, might even do 12.

But if you hold that same brisket in a bigger cooler with lots of empty space... Maybe 3-4 hours.

If you use that same big cooler for holding multiple briskets... Really, really long time. And carryover cooking must be accounted for.

If the bark was really crusty I would try wrapping sooner. Spritz or mopping may help a little with that but wrapping is easier as you only have to tend to your cooker once.

Back