smoked beef tenderloin

hogzillas

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to do beef tenderloin for Xmas & crowd might be in the 15+ range. How much/many tenderloins should I get? Would a whole one do it or go 2? A few power eaters but many will be the Xmas double family duty get togethers so appetites will be slim. What temps do most smoke them at - normally in the past for tenderloin I've done them in oven at low then high heat at the end so I've not smoked tenderloins. I probably will try for prime maybe angus choice, will just have to see what my butcher has available.

All depends on how good they are and how many sides you have. With steaks, and I put tenderloin in that class, I figure 1 pound per person, but I think you'll want to cut that a bit, unless money is no object. Figuring these weight about 5lbs, I'd figure you want a minimum of 2 for 15 people. I'd get three for that number. Of course if you overcook them, people will eat less. :wink:

As a general rule, the thinner the cut of meat, the higher the temperature you cook at. For prime rib, I generally go 225*. For tenderloin, I'll go to 275*, as a roast. If you're doing steaks, then cook like a steak. Do not cook past medium rare or they tend to take on a liver-like flavor.

I two would suggest two tenderloins for that crowd. I usually reverse sear when smoking. Smoke very low 180-200 until internal temp reaches about 110. You will get good penetration at low longer temps. Then I remove and sear hot over coals and wood on the grill till about 130 internal and nicely seared! Foil for about 20-30 minutes before slicing. Temp will rise to a very nice medium rare in the center and more medium on the ends. For more rare don't wrap but wait at least 20 minutes before carving.

Oak rocks for tenderloin.

Looking forward to that on Christmas myself. Fortunately I only need to buy one.

WRT the cooking process, it depends on how you want your slices to look. If you want a consistent edge to edge color, shoot for 225 to 250ish.

102657.jpg

If you want the loin done more on the outer edges and less done in the middle, cook at a higher heat 275+. (The higher the heat, the greater the variance).

image.axd

Leftovers won't be a problem as brother said they'll take whatever is left over with them to the mtns. I plan on kinda thin slices not steaks & it's about half/half on the m/f ratio w/ a slight edge to the males due to a couple of veggies on the female side. I think most would like the pink ctr rather that the pink all across.

Back