A couple injection questions

Beast Drinker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Okay guys, I actually tried this on the thanksgiving bird. I know we're a home made sort of bunch here but just for fun I picked up a bottle of Tony Chache's and shot up the bird. I gotta admit it's fun adding flavor to your food while getting to feel kinda like a mad scientist for one. Now after eating this meat, I am a believer. It just flat out rocked, even compared to good birds of the last 10 years I been q'in for thanksgiving.

Heres my questions, for your Q, WHAT do you inject, everything you do some things not others?

DO you inject early? like a day early (I did) I know for comps you can't do this the early part.

Would you do it on say a rib roast? I feel like that might be almost sacrilege but maybe that's a feeling I need to get over? No maybe? Yes? I don't know.

I won't ask for what do use with what cut of meat because there's plenty of old threads to follow. I have recipes that are tried and true and it might be hard for me to add this step to them, but I might anyway. I thought it was hype but I know now that it's hype I believe.

On birds yes. Rib roast no due to the natural fat saturation. I do Jennie O 12-14 turkey roasts for catering. Chicken or turkey broth injection which is cheap money wise. Under the skin and external rub the nite before w/ Montreal Chicken rub. We slice them abt 1/16" thick and it goes like wildfire.

lot of questions, i'll try to answer each-

what do I inject-birds, butts/shoulders, roasts....pretty much anything besides ribs, steaks, chops and tenderloins.

I look at injection as a marinade. The longer it's there, the more flavor it'll impart. so, I inject as early as practicable(usually 12-24hrs prior to cooking).

Imo-a rib roast should not be injected unless it's used to cover up some other failure.(see above. rib roast falls under both ribs and steaks imo)

hype-it's not hype. injection adds moisture/fluid/flavor directly into meat. however, not all cuts of meat(when cooked properly) benefit much from injecting.

Back