Weber VS Saber

clemsondds

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here so don't blast me too hard. :) I did a search for this comparison but haven't seen any recent discussions. I am looking to get a gas grill. I am tired of replacing my grill every few years so I wanted to get a nice one that will last awhile. We mainly grill steaks, chicken and burgers. I am pretty particular about my steaks. I got frustrated with my last grill due to flare ups and uneven temps (back portion of cooking surface would be 10x hotter than front portion). So I am looking for something durable, cooks evenly and doesn't flare up.
Now I was planning on getting Weber but I saw that they were bought out a couple years ago and I heard that the quality isn't there as much as it once was. I probably would go with a Genesis since I don't really have the need for the Summit and plus I don't a couple things about it. Can anyone give me feedback on their Genesis if they purchased it in the last few years? Does it flare up? I have seen several youtube videos and have noticed flames flaring up a few times. Does it cook evenly? Price is $850
After doing some research on here, several had recommended the Saber 500 32". I really like this one but there's not a ton of reviews on them. Can anyone give me some good feedback on these? The only downside I have heard to these IR grills, is that it's more difficult to slow cook on low heat with these. Any thoughts on this? From what I am seeing, the price on this is $1099.
Well thank you for your help. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them!
Thanks and have a great day!

I went through the same decision three or four years ago and ended up with a Saber. I went to a local pool and patio store that carries both brands and compared. Weber is a great grill, but the construction of the Saber was much better, so for about the same price as a Summit I went with the Saber and haven't looked back.

I have a bunch of pictures here...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/20720548@N07/1NTQ4Z

and my mini-review is here...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162601

The picture links are broken, but they are the pictures in the Flickr album.

I have the built in model, which comes setup for NG from the factory, so I had to get the propane conversion kit. Love the grill, but at times I think that low is too high and other times I think that high is too low. Never ever had a flame up, but you have to watch chicken, easy to burn the skin even on low. Ron, do you find that true as well? Or is something screwy with mine.

I have the built in model, which comes setup for NG from the factory, so I had to get the propane conversion kit. Love the grill, but at times I think that low is too high and other times I think that high is too low. Never ever had a flame up, but you have to watch chicken, easy to burn the skin even on low. Ron, do you find that true as well? Or is something screwy with mine.

I can't think of a time when I felt that high was too low, but I agree that low is too high. I've compensated for it, but there could be an Extra Low setting :-D

So you don't think it's a deal breaker? (That it can't go low)
Also, anyone have any thoughts on recent webers?

I don't because I use it as a grill 90% of the time and have it on high. Once in a while I want to grill a bun or something that burns fast, and that's where have a lower setting would be nice.

Nope. The only problem I have is chicken, while it doesn't flare up, if you don't keep an eye on it and flip it. You can easily burn the skin. I just put it on the top rack for a while, then down on the grill to finish up.

I'm on my 2nd Weber natural gas grill. First one lasted 16 years with only some minor component replacements. If you go that route order it on Amazon with free shipping.

Thanks for your thoughts! Weber definitely has a good name. Anyone notice any quality differences in past generation webers and the newest?
Also, does the Saber heat pretty evenly all over the cooking surface or are there definite hot spots? thank you again for all your help!

I have a saber 500ss and love it as ive had mine 5 yrs now and was hoping for 10 yr life. Its in great shape but i keep it covered. For cooking steaks cook as hot as you can get it!!
You will never have flare up but it does have hot spots. I love the way it cooks for a gas grill glad i made the investment as i see it lasting a long time. Message me if you plan to buy one

I got my Weber Genesis in 2011 and really love it. Solid Construction, nice heavy grates all that jazz.

But if you're not expecting flare-ups . . . this grill flares like any other. Maybe I don't clean it like I should (i don't) but greasy burgers or whatever will get grease flares.

I've only ever used one IR grill, a friends cheap Charbroil. And it was weird, not sure how to describe it. But I don't have good experience in that department. My parent's Holland won't flare, but they don't have heat adjustment or separate burners or anything. They've had it for 15 or 20 years and it was the bottom line model at the time!

Thanks for your thoughts! Weber definitely has a good name. Anyone notice any quality differences in past generation webers and the newest?
Also, does the Saber heat pretty evenly all over the cooking surface or are there definite hot spots? thank you again for all your help!

The new Weber is definitely heavier duty than the one I bought in 1999. It also flares less than the old model with the flavorizer bars.

I have the summit and absolutely love it. Like others said the flare ups are minimal and Weber customer service is the best IMHO. My rotisserie motor broke and they had a replacement to me in 3 days.

I have the genesis s330 and love it. I use it a ton. Bought it 3 years ago. I wanted to upgrade to the s670 but the hinged lid wouldn't fit my rodizio. I've only had 1 flare up on it but I also give it a good cleaning every year.

I like that Weber is made in the US, the Saber is made in China. amazingribs.com has a review of the Saber if you're interested.

I have a Summit S-670 and really like it, never had any problems with it.

Best of both methods. Saber is great for steaks and chickin in a hurry. Primo is for pork butts, ribs, and pizza.

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 192
They are both extremely well made. IMO you could almost flip a coin. I would be satisfied with either grill. I have had my Summit 420 for a number of years and have never regretted that purchase. The only thing I would be concerned with would be long term support available for Saber. Weber has a solid reputation in maintaining support for their older models. Given the money you will be shelling out for either one, I certainly would hope it will still be in service for at least the next 10+ years. Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

Can you get the same sear on the Webber as on the saber? I know with the high heat, you can get a nice sear on it. So for both I guess you would say build quality is equal (slight to saber with 304 ss). Weber has it on customer service; Saber has it on no flare. Am I missing anything?

I have a six month old genesis with the sear burner. I really like it, very even cooking and with the sear burner on it pours out some serious heat. I have had zero flares.

Back