I've created a monster

dcimike125

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So after a couple years of me showcasing my cooks to my boss every monday, he took the plunge and ordered a PBC. Today he was trolling this site on my work computer. He decides that it would be fun to build either a propane tank or ugly drum offset. I go out to run some errands and I come back to catch him on uline.com pricing out 55 gal drums. I had to put him into the corner and give him a time out. I said lets come up with a plan first and then order what we need.

I really can't wait for his PBC to arrive tomorrow so that his jets are cooled a little. He is upgrading from a gasser so he has a learning curve. The only smoking he has experience with is cigars

You make it sound like that's a bad thing...

You make it sound like that's a bad thing...
Only in the sense that he is really a noob. Lets graduate from burgers and dogs first and see if the bug sticks when he starts cooking on the "set it and forget it" PBC. Offsets require a little more finesse and patience. I know I want one but not the gigantisaurus that he is planning.

Your going about this all wrong, let him build what you really want. If it turns out he's not into it, you'll get it cheap, if he loves it you may get a raise, this is win win!

Your going about this all wrong, let him build what you really want. If it turns out he's not into it, you'll get it cheap, if he loves it you may get a raise, this is win win!
Excellent idea :clap2:

He decides that it would be fun to build either a propane tank or ugly drum offset.
Is he really going to build it or are you?
If it is you, build it how you would like it. Then if he doesn't like cooking on the offset, you have/can get an offset that you built. The way you wanted it.
Start now before winter sets in.

I rather your monster boss than mine.
Your's sounds like a bit of fun

Talk about a golden opportunity....become his BBQ buddy and I'd bet the farm you're allowed to do a lot of stuff your other coworkers aren't....

It really is a good thing. He is coming over with beer after work to help me set up for a cook tomorrow. The headache is that all the talk of making an offset is distracting me from the work he really pays me to accomplish

The only downside I see to this is, he'll have your number on speed dial when he has questions. And he'll have many of them!

Back