Brisket on a Lil Tex

Char Yard

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Howdy everyone Im a FNG to this forum, been lookin around and seems like a cool place. On to my next cook, doing a full brisket on my Lil tex, read that some people dont like to trim/seperate the poin from the flat but i didnt want to leave the whole rind on so here's where I'm at;

Trimmed most of the fat off but kept it, theory is I will lay the fat on the grill under to help insulate, and then put some on top while cookin.

Did not seperate so the connecting fat is intact

Liberally coated with combo of family rubs

Stuck it in a bag,sucked air out and am planning on firing up on Monday.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

sure hope the rub you put on it is low salt.. otherwise, waiting till monday, your curing the meat and it may firm up, get salty or come out with a pastrami like texture.

From what Dad will tell me there is no salt in either rub, but he makes em from memory and wont tell me the exact recipe, I'll let you folks know how it turns out!

Put the thick end towards the chimney, that should be the hottest end of your Traeger.

Why would you cut all the fat off, only to "Lay it over the top" and underneath it? If you had left it on........

Why would you cut all the fat off, only to "Lay it over the top" and underneath it? If you had left it on........

Personally I dont like to try and trim afterwards, but I do like the flavor that the fat will give the meat, I've left it on with other briskets all the way to slicing and have had complaints on having the rind on people's plates. From lookin around the site I got the impression that alot of folks trimmed their briskets and/or seperated them

I would cook it intact with the fat in place, and then when getting ready to slice, you can cut/scrape the fat off the flat before you slice and serve. It will just roll off if the brisket is done. Placing the cut fat on top will not cause the brisket to be any juicer as it will not absorb into the meat, and will interfere with the bark.

Blessings,

Omar

I trim my brisket .. I do leave about a 1/4 thick layer in for cooking but any hard fat I can touch gets cut off.

Then, after cooking I remove any more fat as I encounter it.

Wow. I guess that's an interesting thought. i have rendered the fat down and made lard/oil before, but never laid it on top. I would agree that would mess up your bark forming and maybe to an extent your smoke intake. Let us know how it worked out. I use my Traeger for brisket and it makes some great brisket. Good luck.

I wish I could put some pictures up to show everyone exactly what I have going on but for some dam reason all my cameras are dead, and the one that takes AA's has vanished.

What would you guys recommend for a spray/mop sauce? Usually I just take some rub,mix it with half a beer and some worchestershire and hit it every hour or so, but figured Id ask and see what other folks like.

Ok so now that momma is home I found a working camera, heres where I'm at, did a quick sear on the weber then laid some fat down and then the slab, with some pieces on the top

Back