Brisket is what I love about Sunday's

Delbridge11l

Reaction score
Just got started on my second brisket flat. Trying out a Texas style sweet with a little heat rub. No injection. I want to know the meat flavor before I go shooting flavor in it. Cooking it on an Akron Kamado with some apple wood chunks and it just barely fits!! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 203
Trying to keep my temp around 275 for the cook but the Akron demanded 280 so I let her keep it. I was inside doing a few things and its risen up to 300 so I figured I'd get a pic while letting out a little heat real quick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 160
Well internal temp hit 170 and I figured it was time to cover it up. I had everything ready and quickly realized the spatula I normally pick my meat up with wasn't going to lift it. Quick thinking made some tinfoil oven mitts and opened the lid to get it off. Poured a warm beer over it for juice and flavor and messed up the bark so I added a little more rub to try and fix it. Opened the lid and put it back on as quick as I could and somehow a couple minutes after I shut the lid my grill alarm was going off and I was up to 340 grate temp. I don't know what happened to make the temp spike that hard but you win some you lose some. I just hope I can still win with the brisket with all my brisket rookie mistakes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 140
Once you've wrapped, 340°F is not an issue, as long as you know it's happening. I often cook briskets at that temperature once I've wrapped (I use paper, no pan, same theory). You should still be good to go soon.

Thanks for the calming my nerves I was worried I would end up ruining it with the high temp. I figured I would use the pan so I count try and not make a mess with all the juices. My temperature finally came back down quite a bit. I've never fought my Akron this hard to keep a temp.

Before you open the lid, shut the lower vent and that will help keep the temp steady...

I think you should be fine! I typically cook my briskets anywhere between 3-350 anyways

Here it is. It turned out great. It had a little more pepper than I'd like and It was just a tad over cooked. It couldn't pass the bend test. All in all it was still a very good brisket.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 80
Oh yeah, Sunday brisket can only mean some amazing Monday leftovers.

Before you open the lid, shut the lower vent and that will help keep the temp steady...

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have to try that on my next cook. I feel like it's my wood chunks catching fire. I used lump with some chunks mixed in.

Nicely done. I have some folks that prefer my brisket to where it won't bend without breaking.

Back