Coolapeno variety of Jalapeño

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
My first rodeo. We lost our original peppers hail/drought/etc. these are a Mid-Late June plant. Online reviews are mixed. Anyone tried these?

Last edited:
Haven't heard of them personally, but we lost our garden to a very late frost in June. For cooler peppers I'll pull Hungarian Wax when yellow and slightly starting to droop on the plant. They say the Fresno is milder then the jalapeno, but I found them to be quite a bit hotter at least mine were. Might have to take a look at this pepper for next year.

-D

Interesting. A heatless Jal? I have never heard of those before. If it has a good traditional Jal flavor with no heat I could find a reason to grow those. I planted two varieties of Jals this year and planted late as well. They are scorching hot and good for me but not so much anyone else in our house. I will have to look for the Coolios next year. I also planted two varieties of green chilies. (1) Big Jim and (1) Sandia. The first red Sandia I pulled off, I took a big bite of it and got lit up pretty good. I would recommend them.

I'm hoping for ideal conditions and make some pickled jalapeños.

I've grown TAM, and another hybrid with lower heat. Both were exactly as advertised, mild to no heat, flavor of a jalapeno, minus the heat.

What is a good source for pepper seeds? Online? or are the ones at Home Depot just as good?

"Dave" says it's flat out heatless (0 scoville units).

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/234589/#b

...I'd really be interested in a "coolio" habanero for blending with regular. Tabasco Habanero sauce has an interesting flavor, but it's so hot that it's sometimes hard to utilize as much of that flavor as I would like, and I have a high tolerance for heat. (Probably not as high as Zin's.)

Why would anyone want a Jalapeno with no heat, its hard enough to find a hot jalapeno.

"My first rodeo"- translation "I've never had these before"
We lost our original pepper and tomato plants due to high heat high winds low humidity. This was all the wife could find late June.

So "why in the world?" We like to grow something and this was all that was available.

What is a good source for pepper seeds? Online? or are the ones at Home Depot just as good?

Maybe someone else can help you. I live in a semi arid environment st 3500 above sea level. It's tough enough growing well rooted plants from Bonnie. For me anyway.

For jalapeño seeds, retail is fine. Go to a place that has good turnover, and never buy dusty seed packets. I've bought from Home Depot, and from very high end seed purveyors, the jalapeño seeds from HD were just as good.

And to the poster who mentioned Fresno peppers, they are typically hotter than jalapeño peppers, especially comparing ripe, red Fresno to green, unripe jalapeño

Back