Grrrrrrrrr

LMAJ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Did the trek to the butcher yesterday morning...
Last week, ordered a PRIME 7 bone rib roast, some bacon, and a few other items.
Drive there 45 minutes each way. They have everything packed up, pay the bill and head home.
Open it up, start cutting it into the size I want, and get a good look at it... no marbling..
None...
Look at the packaging - SELECT - GRRRRRRRRRRRR
I put a call into the shop, and they tell me to bring it back - can't at that moment, and they are OK with that. Assure me they will make it right, and I am sure they will - just aggravating.

So next Saturday will make the trek again - the question is, do I keep this select, or take it back? There will be prime coming home with me wither way...

Well, if prime is coming back with you either way, I'd keep it. Matter of fact, I'd just take em back the bones. Sorry to hear about the mix up.
Bob

Well, if I keep it, I will be paying the difference on the prime, since I paid for prime this week... so more $$ out of my pocket.

Well, if I keep it, I will be paying the difference on the prime, since I paid for prime this week... so more $$ out of my pocket.
Ask them if you need to store it and take it back, "I'm short on storage space", or if you can just pitch it. You never can tell till you try.

Store it and give them a bill for storage when you get there.

The store won't be able to sell it if it's returned, would they? Seems like something perishable like that couldn't be put back into inventory as food safety could no longer be guaranteed. Plus, you're out the gas for 90 minutes of driving. Seems as if they should swallow that loss, not you.

The store will have to toss it, the butcher should just give it to you, if you ordered something other than Select. I would keep it, grind it into burgers and pay the difference. I hate the idea of wasting meat.

Cook that sumbish! :wink:

The store will have to toss it, the butcher should just give it to you, if you ordered something other than Select. I would keep it, grind it into burgers and pay the difference. I hate the idea of wasting meat.
That's where I think we will end up. When I called them yesterday they were Saturday morning busy - which is why we get there when they first open, and was promised a call back tomorrow. I am sure we will come to a mutually agreeable option. I am probably not their best customer, but I'm no slacker either. It was an honest mistake on the part of the guy who packed the box. Can't bear to see 18 pounds of beef get tossed.

The one great thing about dealing with butchers, is that I think most of them understand that they can't win by underselling or competing on price, so they bend over backwards on service. They will go out of their way to keep customers happy.

I would be extremely upset. Tell them you had to cook them due to not having prime and you had guests. Take a couple of steaks back with you and tell them that's what left and they need to give you prime. They will probaby let you keep the select steaks.

Should have added that I doubt they will take it back especially after that much time. Even if you froze it and took it back. If they are in agreement that it was a mistake on the guy that packed the box, they will take the hit on this one. A good butcher will do what he can to make it right.

It's all been vausealed and put in the freezer.

A good market would let you keep the select. My store would never take back any perishable item. Give them their money back, pick something else, or what ever it takes to make the customer happy. Hate that happened, but I would cure the select flat and make pastrami. Hope it works out.

I would go on the belief that it was an honest mistake , and you should be honest. It is an inconvenience for you but no need to screw the butcher. Maybe he will cook it for his family. Maybe he will throw it away. Maybe he will tell you to keep the $150 worth of beef. Just guessing at the price. Choice rib roasts here are running 11.99 a pound. My point is it is not a great situation for either of you. Disappointing to see folks advising you to try to make it worse.

I would go on the belief that it was an honest mistake , and you should be honest. It is an inconvenience for you but no need to screw the butcher. Maybe he will cook it for his family. Maybe he will throw it away. Maybe he will tell you to keep the $150 worth of beef. Just guessing at the price. Choice rib roasts here are running 11.99 a pound. My point is it is not a great situation for either of you. Disappointing to see folks advising you to try to make it worse.

^ this . wait til tomorrow when they're not slammed and everything will work out .

There is no dishonesty in asking to keep meat that most likely would be disposed of, as it would have sat around till next Saturday. One and a half hours drive time, and the inconvenience of the second trip due to incorrectly filling an order placed in advance are also to be considered.

Back