Jamaican Butter Fish and Buffalo Fish on the Egg

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Have some friends/co-workers in town this week and hit up one of my favorite market that helps me broaden my horizons on food, especially seafood and fish that most places don't carry. I've been making it a point to try different types of fish since my fish cooking repertoire has been lacking :biggrin1:. So today stopped by Nam Dae Mun and picked 2 types I haven't tried.

Saw this big old Buffalo fish and got an 8lb'er and then a Jamaican Butter fish also looked good :clap2:. Sides would be nopales (which I've come to love) and roasted potato salad. Also since these friends haven't had our bbq I thawed some leftovers from our last competition and also some of the mac n cheese sausage I had made the other week. Here's the pics.

Seafood setup at the market

The fish

Picked up some beer

Lighting up the egg

Thawing out the bbq meat

Starting the potato salad

The buffalo was big so cut the tail off to fit

Jamaican butter fish

Season up and on the smoker. Buffalo took about 45mins cooking around 400 and the smaller Jamaican took about 25

Potato salad done up

Nopales

Fish done up

Rest of meats

Eating

And had some pecan pie cheesecake for dessert

I liked the Jamaican flavor better, but both were really good. Both fairly mild and as inexpensive as the buffalo fish is was well worth it. Definitely looking forward to cooking them again.

nice spread, how was the fish? I have not cooked or had either

Nice job, looks like you had your bases covered, for me I would have enjoyed all of it.

Great looking spread, if that didnt impress they are very hard to please

Love me some buffalo.. I usually get the filets and deep fry them bad boys, good eatin...Damn, those mack n cheese links tho, along with the rest look damn good!

I know what a buffalo is, but WTF is a Jamaican Butter Fish?

Me thinks it's good marketing! JBF looks like one of those jumping ditch carp found in the rivers around the Great Lakes! Whatever it is, JTQ knows how to make it yummy!
:clap2:

'round these parts we call Buffalo fish...carp...Catch 'em, knock 'em in the head and pitch 'em up on the bank...
Ed

nice spread, how was the fish? I have not cooked or had either

Both were great. I'd say both were a mild'ish white fish taste. The butter fish was maybe slightly more "oily", but not overly.

I know what a buffalo is, but WTF is a Jamaican Butter Fish?

I know right?? :becky:. Was thinking the same thing. Half the stuff I see in that market I say those exact words. Those are typically the fish I try and get.....I like getting the "WTF fish" :clap2:

Love me some buffalo.. I usually get the filets and deep fry them bad boys, good eatin...Damn, those mack n cheese links tho, along with the rest look damn good!

The mac links are good. That was my first batch and looking forward to changing up the recipe next time.

And I definitely want to fry the buffalo next time.

Looking good! I haven't had buffalo fish in years. My mouth is watering now and I'll have to look for some this week. My grandmothers would fry them steaked (1-2 inches thick) after dusting them in seasoned cornmeal ...mmm! Thanks for posting!

Back