Advice for a Newbie

weast

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I am brand new to this forum and I'm a complete BBQ rookie. My experience only includes cooking ribs on propane/natural gas grills and attending one BBQ cooking course. As a rookie, I am looking to purchase a starter pellet grill and would love some advice. What grills do you recommend in the $500 range? I have looked at the Green Mountain Davy Crockett, the Rec Tec RT-300 and the Traeger Tailgater. Any thoughts on those, or some other starter grill I should consider? I am mostly looking to do ribs and pulled pork / pork butt. Also, are there any good books or online videos you can recommend for a newbie such as myself? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

When it comes to pellet cookers I'm a fan of Green Mountain.

The Amazingribs.com website is an excellent source of good information.

Have you considered going with a charcoal cooker?

I first got into BBQ a little over a year ago and what got me interested in getting my own smoker was the PBS shows BBQ with Franklin and Project Smoke. Both shows have clips on YouTube but if you search your t.v.guide you can probably find those full episodes. Ton of useful information there. Also just remembering Project Smoke features a decent amount of pellet use; should be helpful

I have a Baby Traeger which is about the same as the Tailgater. We love it and it will do the things your asking for and more.
Personally, a pellet grill shouldn't be your only tool. I prefer my UDS, use my weber kettle regularly and the gasser if its something quick.
I think the best thing on the pellet grill is chicken. No flair ups. But Ive done butts and chuckies with a lot of success. Gotta love set it and forget it.

Good luck.

When it comes to pellet cookers I'm a fan of Green Mountain.

The Amazingribs.com website is an excellent source of good information.

Have you considered going with a charcoal cooker?

And the guy who started the site has a great book on BBQ called something like Meathead: the Art and Science of BBQ and Grilling. Well worth acquiring.

Back