How many competitions did it take for you to earn your first GC?

How many santioned comps before your first GC?

• 1-2 sanctioned comps

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • 3-5 sanctioned comps

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • 6-10 sanctioned comps

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • 11-15 sanctioned comps

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • 16-20 sanctioned comps

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • 21-30 sanctioned comps

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • 30-40 sanctioned comps

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 41 or more sanctioned comps

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Still waiting, I've competed less than 10 times

Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Still waiting, I've competed 11-20 times

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • Still waiting, I've competed more than 21 times

Votes: 13 10.3%

• Total voters

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
How many sanctioned competitions did it take for you to earn your first GC?

That is the question. As many of us compete at different rates (some nearly every weekend, some once a month and others a few times a year) saying how many years it's taken to win a team's first GC may not tell the whole story, so maybe the number of sanctioned comps would give us others an idea of the reality of how challenging it is to reach that pinnacle.

I think that it took me somewhere around 16-20 contests to get a Grand, but then my first contest was Dillard and I had just bought my first electric brinkman about 6 months prior. before that BBQ was pork loin in the crock pot and some sauce. I think that I could have shortened it a little if I didnt learn how to cook bbq at contests..

RGC 2nd sanctioned comp and only a fraction of a point from GC. Seen RGC a few times
since, but no GC yet. We are having fun though! Tiring, but fun.

What's a GC...never even sniffed one.:pray:
Probably going to crush Pickled Pigs number. I know it's tough to win anywhere but we have a lot of very good cooks here in Iowa so it just seems impossiable to win sometimes. Talk about slow learning. :doh:. Some day I hope crawl out from under this black cloud and win something.

I think 7 or 8?

2007: 5? contests, highest call was RGC

2008: 13 sanctioned contests, 3 GCs

2009: 26 sanctioned contests (KCBS and IBCA), 7 GC, 7 RGC

These numbers are generally lower (quicker) than I expected.

Theres some talented Brethren out there.

we were very lucky to win in our 5th sanctioned event....haven't really been close since...although I did reverse all of the changes we have made in the time since and I think we are closer again :)

I felt like I was right on the brink down in FBA land (highest was a 3rd) then I moved North and it feels like starting all over.

The chicken that was working down there don't fly up here. :roll:

I guess I'm one of the few who won first time out. Harpoon 2003. We also won the next day grilling at Harpoon. The next week we came in third at the Podunk Festival then later in the summer we came in third again at New Holland. My next contest we came back to reality as a new team and came in 55th at The Jack with a DAL in pork.

I guess I'm one of the few who won first time out. Harpoon 2003. We also won the next day grilling at Harpoon. The next week we came in third at the Podunk Festival then later in the summer we came in third again at New Holland. My next contest we came back to reality as a new team and came in 55th at The Jack with a DAL in pork.

Hey Rich,. Are you going to be in LP this year? We are making the trek out again...

It took us 20 comps to get to the Holy Grail. Got a RGC in our 6th and have a fair share of top 10 overalls, but weren't able to get all 4 categories nailed the same day. That to me, is what shows the quality of the teams that win multiple times - they are on all 4 categories consistently.

I've competed 9 times, took RGC in our 5th competition and placed in the top 10 6 out of the 9 times. I can taste GC from here!!!

I would say that in some parts of the country, where there is a very high density of teams, it is harder to get to that GC mark.

First RGC was at 25 contests.
Second RGC was a few later and we missed GC by a hair.
Third RGC was a couple later.

2010 will give us our first ever GC------ if we learn how to cook :redface:
So close.......

TIM

I would say that in some parts of the country, where there is a very high density of teams, it is harder to get to that GC mark.

I would tend to agree.I would think it would get you a little crazy in Missouri or Kansas where there is a multitude of very good teams. Yes I know they have a lot of contests but what do you think 10-15 teams could win at about any of those?

Back