THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bander7003

Full Fledged Farker
As if I have too ask:

I have a garage fridge where I put stuff I don't need all that often. I was cleaning it out and found that I had forgot about having 3 pounds of pork belly that I was going to cure into bacon. Don't know how I spaced having that, but it was in the bottom of the fridge in vacuum sealed. Bought it in early February. I'm thinking I should probably throw it out. It hasn't been opened or frozen since purchase.

As long as I'm asking, how long is it safe to "wet age" a brisket if the brisket remains vacuum sealed and in a fridge that is around 36 degrees?

That is a tough question, there is nothing quite like food poisoning from bad meat.

I guess I would pop open the cryo and sniff.

In terms of brisket, you can go quite a while in a well sealed cryo at that temperature.

Yeah food poison is no fun. I been there before. I think of it this way:

Flu x 100 = A REALLY bad time.

I would toss it. Sorry to hear about that loss. :sad:

Some lessons In life are pricy and some are learned in the out house. Are you a Betting man flip a coin. Brisket can go 45 days from the Kill date marked on the packing case.

I'll be the dissenter and say that I wold probably cook it up unless it smelled bad. That being said, I have been accused of being impervious to the normal effects of rancid food. :-D

Back