BBQ Associations "Team Of The Year" races...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
How important are these races to you, your team, and your local association/society?

For me personally, I don't care at all. I don't compete enough to make a difference, and I compete in 3 sanctioning bodies, so it's even harder to add up points.

I like it. Give us smaller fish a chance to compete towards something achievable. Most BBQ Societies only take 3-5 contests in state. Give a guy a quantifiable goal to achieve for.

Last edited:
Seemed to be a bigger deal in the past
I don't cook enough to really even worry about it
:0)

We have zero interest in TOY race for us. We would rather choose to cook the events that we want to rather than have to. It is hard enough chasing qualifiers and next year we won't be doing that either. I don't want to cook a 12 team $3500 event in nowhere land. That is not fun and it's expensive.

I think for our local association it has the potential to have a big impact on the bbq community if marketed right. However, it is treated as an after thought and this keeps more teams from entering the race. So it boils down to 2 or 3 motivated teams which is kinda boring.

I think its important that regional associations have TOY programs. KCBS' TOY system has some real flaws in it that virtually locks out 95% of the teams from being able to chase it.
I think maybe the bonus points for teams may need to be tiered rather that a 1 for 1 on teams entered and crediting up to 50 where many regions of KCBS comps can't consistently draw 50+ teams because of the over saturation of sanctioned contests.

We have zero interest in TOY race for us. We would rather choose to cook the events that we want to rather than have to. It is hard enough chasing qualifiers and next year we won't be doing that either. I don't want to cook a 12 team $3500 event in nowhere land. That is not fun and it's expensive.

I think for our local association it has the potential to have a big impact on the bbq community if marketed right. However, it is treated as an after thought and this keeps more teams from entering the race. So it boils down to 2 or 3 motivated teams which is kinda boring.

100% agree, unless you are willing to cook every weekend chasing points is just is not worth it, no money in it, only bragging rights. Thanks Jesse for that post :)

When I first started cooking it was a big deal for the association and the cooks. Now...not so much as a thread dedicated to it...other than the one I started because I was curious how we stood. Kinda sad actually...it has definitely lost its luster in the PNW for sure...:tsk:

The MN BBQ society quit doing the TOY with seemingly no announcement. Fortunately a local BBQ shop is taking it over, but I question what is going to happen to membership numbers if there is no TOY race. I hear the majority of members are judges, but what would it say if a good bulk of competitors leave the membership ranks. At the end of the last contest, I believe we were at or near 200 unique teams to have competed at sanctioned KCBS contests in state. I know they are not all members, but you can see the potential there

The RMBBQA (Rocky Mountain) has a TOY program. Cook in a minimum of 6 Cup Contests and based on your scores, you are eligible for TOY payouts. They pay top 10 ($1750 for TOY) overall and top 10 in each category ($175 for 1st in each category). 18 teams are competing.

They also have a Shot Glass program. Cook in 3 to 5 contests, 3 best scores count. They also pay out top 10 overall ($750 for top spot) and top 10 each category ($75 for top spot) 25 teams competing.

I don't compete enough to even care about the KCBS ToY, but I do care about our Great Lakes BBQ Association ToY program. I don't care for how it was broken up to 4 qualifying comps in each of the great lakes states and they count your top 3 events but it is a better gauge on how you are doing in your area. The GLBBQA has cash for the category wins and a new smoker for overall.

That said I do enjoy watching other teams battle for KCBS ToY.

I could care less. I don't cook for TOY, whether that be KCBS or any local association I cook in. The KCBS TOY has way too many flaws and don't reward those that don't cook 25+ contests. Teams are over inflated that they are a top team, because they can throw out 25 contests. You want to impress me, then use an average of your scores. KCBS is pouring too much money in this and should really be thinking about the other 95%. Just my opinions of course.

MABA has a pretty active ToY program. It only takes 5 contests so the occasional cooks have a good shot. We award down to 10 places and it's always a pretty good time with decent awards at the annual meeting.

I could care less. I don't cook for TOY, whether that be KCBS or any local association I cook in. The KCBS TOY has way too many flaws and don't reward those that don't cook 25+ contests. Teams are over inflated that they are a top team, because they can throw out 25 contests. You want to impress me, then use an average of your scores. KCBS is pouring too much money in this and should really be thinking about the other 95%. Just my opinions of course.

There is a lot of truth packed into that statement, but the only thing I would disagree with is using average scores. Scottie, you cook all over the country and know that there is a scoring curve that is much higher in some places compared to others. I think there were 2 700's in the same contest in the Georgia this weekend and Bill Gillespie's, Smokin Hoggs 686 (which is like a 710 anywhere else) won up in Mass. A 671 took a contest in Scranton in a tough field.

Keep the current scoring system and I think that KCBS should consider at least 2 divisions in TOY scoring to encourage teams that cook 5 or less competitions a year. I think that would help grow the ranks of KCBS considerably. The downside is that if you are chasing TOY and you cook your first 5 contests and do really well, do you stop there to try to win that title or keep on cooking to go for the big title? There are downsides to every scenario.

The downside is that if you are chasing TOY and you cook your first 5 contests and do really well, do you stop there to try to win that title or keep on cooking to go for the big title? There are downsides to every scenario.

I think the way to handle that is the way that they set up the http://southernbarbecuechallenge.com/ You have to decide beforehand if you want to go all in, or do the 5 or less contests fro the beginning. Personally, I think splitting it up into different categories (10 or less, more than 10, whatever) works well because I know how many contests I'll be cooking in a year within a contest or two, and at least for the foreseeable future, wouldn't be able to cook near the amount of contests it would take to put me in the KCBS TOY running as it currently stands.

Mark - I THINK what Scottie is saying is ig you cook 30 contests they should all factor in. So if you tank one, it doesn't get dropped. If thats the case, sign me up, I'm all for it.

...there is a scoring curve that is much higher in some places compared to others. I think there were 2 700's in the same contest in the Georgia this weekend and Bill Gillespie's, Smokin Hoggs 686 (which is like a 710 anywhere else) won up in Mass.

Just to be clear - the KCBS ToTY tally is based on your finishing rank, not your raw point scores. in the context of their system, a 705 point GC in Georgia is worth exactly the same as a 670 point GC in Vermont (assuming an equal number of teams at both).

We don’t really care about it, for a lot of the reasons listed above.

I've always thought the “average” idea was the most fair…that’s how I measure my season….how many total teams did I compete against in a year, and how many of those did I beat? If you throw in a couple parameters (like minimum # of contests, minimum total number of teams competed against) this would be a pretty fair way to measure teams against each other. The biggest flaw is probably its simplicity.

As a team that will likely never be in the running for such a thing, I think they're great. When we do well, it's nice to be able to say "look at all the top ### KCBS teams we were ahead of!" And when we have a bad day, it's just as nice to be able to say "if it weren't for all the top ### KCBS teams at this contest, I'm sure we'd have been gotten AT LEAST top five!" :cool:

Back